Mark III Enthusias

D

Dub_U

I've been in love with the Mark III for 6 months now. Unfortunately I also had a deep love for the 1989 Nissan 240sx and bought it instead, but now I find myself slightly disappointed (partially because I don't have the income to be constantly fixing an old car, and to get any power I would have to swap an engine :( ) so now i'm back in the land of selecting cars and I really want a Mark three. (please correct me if i'm wrong) the Mark III just seems like a car that isn't a complete project car, doesn't need an engine swap for power, and is one of the first japanese sports cars...not to mention its rear-wheel. I just need some info from you guys. What are some Mark III common problems? Do you have the choice of drift and grip driving? or is it just one? I want to do autocross, and some grip driving, but be able to do some minor drifting time to time. If I get a Supra I want to shoot for 300hp at the wheels. Sorry if I sound like some immautre kid, but I don't know too much about the Mark III. Thanks.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
First of all Welcome.

Second, I love it when people actually use the full "Mark III" title instead of just shortening it to MKIII.

OK now, you wanted to know about the supra and it's characteristics. First, it's an old car, and like all old cars will require maintenance. But if you take care of all the preventive maintenance issues correctly the first time the supra turns in to a very reliable car. Two of the big issues that crop up most of the time are Rod Knock, and BHG(Blown Head Gasket). Both of these issues are preventable but you should keep an eye out for them when purchasing a car. If you search under those terms you will find a wealth of knowledge on how to deal with such issues. 300hp is easily attainable and very comfortable for the supra. Now as far as grip or drift driving goes, the supra is a very big girl, the Japanese tank for all intents and purposes (~3800lbs.) However, with good suspension upgrades the Mark III can have the grace of a ballerina on the track. She comes from the factory with Unequal length double A-arm suspension, ideal for track/grip conditions. But some of the components were dialed down for street comfort (Shocks/Sway Bars). Fix these and she is good to go. As far as drift goes some people have had good results but I can't comment from experience, so I'll wait for them to chime in. All in all she is a good car with great potential, but like all old cars it may need a little TLC when you first get it. Here is a good website for first timers. It contains a beginner’s guide as well as the best repair manual, the TSRM.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/techtips.aspx

Dig around a little bit and see what you find. If you have any questions come back and ask.

Again welcome, it's a good community here.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
did you say you don't want to be putting money into fixing an old car? well, the supra is a money pit. some in a bad way, some in a good way. i think the good far outway the bad though. good luck. :wave:

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^ Not necessarily.

I know, I know, there are SO many variables when it comes to spending what on what...but making a basic layout.

Once you get passed the headgasket (get a fresh one)...You/I/we've got a hell of a powerplant to build on. :) A few hundred dollars spent here and there and you can EASILY make 300rwhp and have yourself a 13 second car.

And then you switch it over to an s13 240sx...SOHC or DOHC...either way, doesn't have the capabilities a 7M does, which in return, is why 90% of 240sx owners go with the infamous SR swap or even an RB.

Factor in the money spent for a swap and additional power adders and I'll be willing to bet my Supra that you've spent more on the 240 than the Supra. ;)

Ask me how I know (Used to have a 240)...

Anywho, Welcome to the boards! It IS a hell of a community and bond...but truth be told, they can get a bit expensive if you don't pay attention to what you're doing or treat it like shit on the bottom of your shoe. :icon_wink

Good luck to you.

-Jeff

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I've spent way more on my Supra than the 240 I used to have..

but in MODS..:D

I loved my 240, no doubt about it, in fact, as soon as I can, I'm going to purchase another...

but yeah, I can see where you're coming from, the pignose 240 (89/90) is an ugly little son of a bitch..

D

Dub_U

I thought about swapping in an SR20DET, or even the RB, but that's at least 2-3k, plus I wouldn't just drop in a random engine without changing all the gaskets and and such (another couple hundred). I wouldn't mind dropping money into a car, as long as it's fixing, modding, fixing, instead of always fixing. But yea, right now i'm just getting my 240 ready to sell and waiting for spring.

SkyHawk Ecks- i'm in Susanville, CA wayy north-east CA (about 1hr 30min from Reno, NV.)

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Dub_U said:
I thought about swapping in an SR20DET, or even the RB, but that's at least 2-3k, plus I wouldn't just drop in a random engine without changing all the gaskets and and such (another couple hundred). I wouldn't mind dropping money into a car, as long as it's fixing, modding, fixing, instead of always fixing. But yea, right now i'm just getting my 240 ready to sell and waiting for spring.

SkyHawk Ecks- i'm in Susanville, CA wayy north-east CA (about 1hr 30min from Reno, NV.)

lol...but that would not be Norcal though....