Map sensor question

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Ok so got the 1j single swap done. All was going well till the other night. Went out and did a pull. At about 10 psi the car started sputtering and I could see a lot of blue smoke come out the tail pipe. So now for today. It was raining and I was on my way home and I came to a stop. I started to drive off and I had a bad mis and my afr's were at 8.78. Way rich. So I'm thinking the map sensor crapped out on me. I googled the prob and didn't find much.

TweakTech

Apr 3, 2012
Summerville, SC
Start simple. pull your codes. Then, once you have fixed any issues there, if the problem still persists, it will be easier to diagnose. You don't want to just start throwing parts at it *hoping* the problem goes away.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Ok finally had some time to play with it today (wife is a bitch lol). Replaced the map and the coil packs. Thanks to a friend. Nothing still the same prob. No codes. So we opened up the ecu and ya found a leaking cap which I hope didn't mess up the circuit board. So if it did how hard is it to wire in a 2 jz ecu into the 1j harness? I can pick one up cheap.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
It's not hard to do BUT there is a few things that will need to be done. You are better off sending the ECU to DM to service OR getting the standalone kit of you plan on getting one.

You will have to convert it to full sequential as the 1JZ is batch fire. The injectors will need to be changed as the JDM ECU is tuned for 440cc but stock is 370cc. Both are high impedance.

You will need something lean it out if you use the 2JZ ECU as it will run rich due to the bigger injectors and map being set up for a 3.0L.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
JStoked;1843230 said:
I have a set of 440's from my 7mgte. They are all nice and clean. Will those work? And yes I'm going to try and get the ecu fixed first.

NO..... They need to be side feed injectors..

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
IBoughtASupra;1843078 said:
You will need something lean it out if you use the 2JZ ECU as it will run rich due to the bigger injectors and map being set up for a 3.0L....

Andy i thought the 1jz and 2jz maps were the same? no changes to input and output just maybe physical appearance or did i miss something?

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
Yes, the fuel MAPS in the ecu are different, lol... Don't forget the Timing maps as well, If I remember correctly, JZA70 ecus have a very very safe timing maps, SOARER have a much aggressive Timing map...

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
IBoughtASupra;1843640 said:
Maps can't be the same.

1JZ - 370CC
JDM 2JZ - 440CC
USDM - 550CC

just to be clear... i'm talking maps as in "map sensors" reading into you post further i think you're talking about fuel map/ fuel curve etc right? i think we've been talking about different maps, my bad playa!

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Well i said screw it and ordered the whole 6 dollars worth of caps to fix the ecu myself. My brother works on computer boards all day so we are going to just fix it our selves. So thank you for all your info.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i think its more meant to be an easy replacement part, i think the old toyota # was superseded at some point as well so they made the new version instead of old blah blah blah ;)