map sensor code (31)

jaime.g

Jun 29, 2007
sa,tx
i just got my 1jz (jzx81 set) running, however im having some issues. Right now i'm currently getting a two codes, 41(tps) and 31(map). I think the reason why i'm getting a tps code is due to the fact that i haven't calibrated the tps propertly since my engine set did not initally come with one. I tested my map sensor on another running 1jz and it worked great.

my car however with the map plugged in will start and quickly die. if i unplug the map sensor it will however idle well.

I have also tried other vacuum sources on the manifold and i have the same symptoms.

I tested the "PIM" circuit which goes directly from the map sensor to the ecu with a voltmeter and it appears to be fine.

I

Does anyone know what else I maybe able to check to try and solve this problem?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
The tps and map share VC. yellow wire with +5v/ Dont forget to check e2 the brown wire. Should be continuous to intake manifold ie: its a ground :) Without VC for reference neither of them will work. If you jumper pim and vc together giving pim +5v it'll dump mad fuel for full boost. That way you know if the circuit is working. if it is go get a new map.

jaime.g

Jun 29, 2007
sa,tx
ok, i'll try the jumper idea. However i know for sure the map works since i tested it yesterday on a jza70. I do also think that my wiring is to blame.

When i got my motorset, the igniter and map connectors were cut so i had to source connectors (from jza70, which also were different wire colors) and wire them in.

I will let you all know what happens when i try this out.

thanks

jaime.g

Jun 29, 2007
sa,tx
Ok, good and bad news today.

First of all, before trying aphxero's idea of shorting pim and vc together to give the pim circuit 5v and have the map read really rich, i decided to adjust the TPS via the mk4 supra fsm procedures. I repreated the steps until I familarized myself with all the testing and adjusting steps.

Now with the tps calibrated...

MAP sensor code 31 is now GONE., however the code 41(TPS) is still present. weird huh. The tps is i'm using is part # 89452-12080 which i'm thinking is the first generation of the mk4 supra tt tps sensor, which has now been superceded by 89452-22080. If i am wrong on this, please someone let me know., but i also referenced this part # here: http://www.tomco-inc.com/Catalog/tps%20sensors.pdf

So now i'm just thinking it's a bad tps alltogether since i never messed with any of the tps wiring of my harness and especialy since my map sensor appears to be not throwing a code of 31 now.

Before I go ahead and contact the person i bought this tps off of and see if i can get my money back, does anyone else have any tips on testing that for sure the tps is faulty?

jaime.g

Jun 29, 2007
sa,tx
annoyingrob;1032140 said:
is it working? ;)

no not at all

it's just that if you look at this 1jz part# list here:
http://www.jzx100.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1000&pid=19856&st=0&#entry19856

.. it shows tps part # 89452-22080, which is the latest mk4 tt tps sensor part# as well. Now i have heard that 89452-12080 is the older mk4 tt tps sensor, but it functions identical.

That list is not the only one to reference the same tps sensor as the mk4 tt, there have been others around the net as well.

if this all is true, this sensor should be working fine, unless of course if it is broke, which is actualy what im thinking now.

now that i think of it, after calibrating the tps via the fsm, the continuity checks athat it has you do afterword to verify that it is working correctly do not check out, i.e. with .21 feeler gauge, you get continuity, which ended up failing, and with .28 feeler gauge you're supposed to get no continuity, which failed as well. so yeah, i think this tps is bad.