Map ecu2 1jz

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
Hey all

I'm thinking of getting the map ecu2. I'm running a 1jz single turbo with bc 264 cams. Eventually getting bigger injectors and will want meth. Anyone use the map ecu2 on the 1j? How do you like it? How was it to setup and tune? turnout? Thanks in advance!!

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
I have a MAP-ECU1 on my 2JZ-GTE Aristo, and I'm pretty happy with it, and just bought a MAP-ECU2 to replace it. If you decide to go with one, shoot me an email, I'll get ya a deal on one.

Jeff

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
I am currently running a map ecu 2 on a 2jz ecu, on a single turbo 1jz, with 2jz cams.

My thoughts are pretty simple and I think will be beneficial to anyone who thinks like I do!
I didn't want to stick with a 1jz ecu because they seem to go bad eventually on every car. So any plan that involves spending money and being stuck with a questionable part, I try to avoid.
So I went with a 2jz ecu and Map ecu 2, which I am kind of regretting now and here is why: The 2jz ecu I'm running has a redline of like 6400 rpm, compared to the 7200 on my old 1jz ecu. The Map ecu 2 was 500 dollars (got mine still new from someone who never got around to installing). To buy a modded ecu and get a higher rev limit of 8000 or so would cost around 400 dollars. Add that to the 500 I already spent on the Map ecu and we are in the AEM range.

The map ecu is great for fuel control. Tuning is somewhat advanced, probably not for novices but any mechanically/electrically minded people should be able to get a car driving on it. The timing control is not fantastic as you don't get degree readings, just adjustments to stock map (which you can't see what stock is). The two-step IMO is worthless, I have set it as high as 6000rpm before (to test) and was only able to build a couple psi, and its a very unusable soft cut. If I have it set around 4500, I will build about 2psi, hit the limit, drop a few hundred rpm and be well back into vacuum, seems pretty pointless. A real anti-lag setup would do wonders.

Considering you have 264's, I know you're going to want to rev to at least 8000rpm to make full use of them, you'll end up going down the same path I did if you start off on a 1jz ecu. There is always something holding you back. With all the money I've spent on piggyback's and dyno time, I could have easily paid for an AEM in the beginning, tune it once, and be done with it.

So in closing... Look at potential limitations before purchasing, it sucks when you have such an obvious weak link holding your car back :( If you have the means, go standalone from the beginning and never worry about it!

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
Interesting but Im also lookng into affordability right now. I would like to get the haltech ps2000 but don't have the money right now and I just wanna be able to have some fun with the car. Anyone else want to chime in? Anyone use the 1jz ecu?

jtamulis - I will definately hit you up when I'm ready!

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
the injector driver on the 1jz ecu does have problems, but that's known now, and fairly easy to fix. The MAP-ECU is flat ass simple to tune. It does everything the MAFT-Pro does, at less money, and better. And easier. But getting a stand alone is a great idea, moreso if you have a stick car. Stand-alones tend to be hard on auto transmissions (aem), I may someday go AEM, but only after I get a built auto, or R154.

Jeff