Make driftmotion exhaust...louder??

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Hey all, yes I searched to my best abilities but came up empty handed.

I had purchased the drifmotion exhaust kit, and I must say, for the money this kit is actually quite nice.

The only two things I don't really like about it:
1. the muffler section is a tad too big for my taste. but doable.
2. It's really quiet. No I don't want it to be open downpipe loud, because just like most everyone would say..'just run open downpipe'
but it is definitely ALOT quiter than I thought it would be (running a raptor racing downpipe, and straight pipe[DM exhaust] back to the muffler)

So basically it's straight pipe from turbo back.

Now as you can see circled in this picture:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

There is what seems to be a resonator there. It's 'hollow' though. there is like screen mesh in there that retains the 3 inch diameter, but it bulges out a bit more (that's why it's bigger than the rest of the pipe)

So my question is about removing this and welding a straight 3 inch pipe in place of it.

Would it make it louder, well at least noticeably louder?

Thanks

-Dan

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Then you're asking for a ticket :)

More than likely you're not going to get much louder, just more (mind numbing) drone by removing the resonator. Might be better off with a different exhaust...

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
Sadly it wont get any louder....i had it with dp plus this exhaust and i must say its quite quiet..but if u want loud, my friend had the ebay rsr style and shit is loud....u can literally hear him down the next block coming..and he was on stock dp and stock cat...

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
In my personal opinion stockish 7Ms aren't that loud...when my car had the HKS old school 3" dual tip it was hardly louder than stock, and even with the 3" cat-less turboback to Megan racing muffler I have now its still quiet. That said, it does sound pretty good with this set up. It cost me 225 to do including the muffler, and its loud but no obnoxious at all. My 2 cents

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
i was actually looking to pick up this exhaust. im GLAD to hear that its quite! the description on DM made it sound like it would be insanely loud!

Mynes_3

Sep 8, 2009
cencal
Look up mynes_3 on youtube and there should be vids.of my car before it die...u can hear it start up etc....u decide if its.loud or.not...to me. Just perfect..

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
I'm running DDP to atmo. & Driftmotion exhaust with no silencer.. its quiet... Till the wastegate opens ;) which is perfect. Im getting a 3" cutout soon though. So i can be rolling around stinking loud again. :naughty:

im going to try to make & post a video really soon.

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
On a turbo engine, the resonator's don't do a whole lot. not nearly as much of an effect as on an NA engine, where the resonator makes a HUGE difference.

It essentially cuts down on droning/resonating and some higher-pitched tones.

Loud is cool for the first 5 mins, then it becomes annoying (speaking from experience). However, the sound of an exhaust system is subjective to each person. Make it sound that way you want it to sound.

To make it louder you can try running a smaller muffler with less sound packing. Some turbo engines are just not that loud, even straight piped.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
MPR;1872737 said:
It essentially cuts down on droning/resonating and some higher-pitched tones.

Loud is cool for the first 5 mins, then it becomes annoying (speaking from experience). However, the sound of an exhaust system is subjective to each person. Make it sound that way you want it to sound.
Agreed with everything above. Keep the resonator, maybe change out the muffler. Or, buy the RSR setup. You won't get louder without running open downpipe. Still my favorite exhaust for day-to-day driving, but it suuuuuuuuucks for road trips when you don't have the silencer. On a 7m, it is loud. On a JZ, it sounds like a large displacement pissed off street bike.

As for loud being cool for the first 5 minutes, I can speak from experience. Had an 01 SS Camaro. For fun, we would occasionally pull the y-pipe off and run open header just past the cats. That thing sounded like a stock car... pretty sure I lost some hearing permanently from just a couple days driving around like that.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
te72;1872830 said:
Agreed with everything above. Keep the resonator, maybe change out the muffler. Or, buy the RSR setup. You won't get louder without running open downpipe. Still my favorite exhaust for day-to-day driving, but it suuuuuuuuucks for road trips when you don't have the silencer. On a 7m, it is loud. On a JZ, it sounds like a large displacement pissed off street bike.

As for loud being cool for the first 5 minutes, I can speak from experience. Had an 01 SS Camaro. For fun, we would occasionally pull the y-pipe off and run open header just past the cats. That thing sounded like a stock car... pretty sure I lost some hearing permanently from just a couple days driving around like that.

I've always considered the generic 3 inch exhaust to be loud. While it's not raspy on a 1JZ, it definitely doesn't feel discrete. The tone seems to sound pretty good on a 7M.

I definitely agree that the DB level and drone can get old quick. I can't imagine why anyone would need a 7M to be much louder. Just my humble opinion.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Poodles;1872928 said:
Also...

more power = louder :)

Damn straight man, if you don't know that by now, you gotta get into a different hobbie haha

I'm just gonna put it up for trade and see if anyone would be willing to trade for it i guess.

I would like to say however, thank you for all the responses.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Supra_dan;1872940 said:
Damn straight man, if you don't know that by now, you gotta get into a different hobbie haha

I'm just gonna put it up for trade and see if anyone would be willing to trade for it i guess.

I would like to say however, thank you for all the responses.
get a cutout man. i love the quietness & loudness (when its needed). i ran open downpipe for about half a year & when i got the driftmotion exhaust i felt so relieved. tho i kind of miss open downpipe. thus im getting my 3" cutout installed someday i have time. :naughty:

Torque

Sep 7, 2008
In your home
I can never understand why some people need to have a loud exhaust on a street car. Racecar I can agree with, but a street car it makes no sense. You're goin to draw a shitload of unwanted attention.