Major Power Steering Problem

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
I am experiencing the weirdest problem with my power steering.
89 ma70 turbo.
progressive power steering rack.
1jz swapped.
I have been running my car with no power steering. I looped the rack with a reservoir to keep fluid in it so I dont ruin the rack. I decided that I want to run the power steering again and began the install yesterday. I am using an after market reservoir, as well as the Drift Motion high pressure line. The reservoir is not in the factory location but is above the pump. I also know I have the lines hooked up properly(pressure and return lines are not mixed up on the rack)

Now the problem is, after the car has been running for 15-25 seconds the reservoir starts to overflow. Not really badly but it pushing through the breather hole in the top of the cap. Its to the point where it makes a large mess and its not something I could just deal with.

I am seriously lost and have done alot of searching through the forum and still have not found anything useful. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Bahamut

May 13, 2005
Louisville, KY
Mine was doing the same when i had air trapped in the system. The air would compress, when ever i would turn and the reservoir would either be too low or overflowing. After i bleed the system it acted normal.
If it is just pumping the oil out all the time only think i can think of would be to check that the routing is correct.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
glad you decided to hook power back up to your power steering rack...

hows the pump sound? any noises from aeration? whats the overflowing fluid look like? foamy?

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
I found a stock reservoir that I am going to try out.

I am thinking this is my problem, seeing that the hole in the bottom of the after market reservoir is 3/8 with a 5/8 fitting on it.
Will report back soon with my findings.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
Ok, found a reservoir from a 94 Toyota Corolla.

Swapped it in and BOOM, everything works great.

Stupid after market junk!