Mail Fraud?

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
Here's the story:
About three months ago, I paid some guy $400 bucks for some brakes and an intake. Guy lives in NC, I live in VA. Told him I could come pick them up locally, got the "Oh I'm away for the week..." Since then, I have not been able to contact him through messaging or cell phone. I'm sick of this crap and want my parts, but I'm not sure if I should go to the police? Who would I go to for something like this? I've got his address and cell phone number.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Did you pay with a credit card, go to them quickly. Usually CC companys want to keep your bussiness and do alot to help you. If you used paypal file a complaint there too, but id still call the CC company.

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
suprarcr89 said:
did you get a money order from the post office.... if so youve got him... i think you can also get him on a regular one too but if you got one from the post office... youve got him good...

if he cashed it

I dunno if he cashed it or not, he said he got it before he broke contact... The money came out of my checking account when I paid for it at the PO. Yeah I got it at the PO, how does that mean "I got him"? How should I get this resolved?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
It's a federal offense for him to take your MO, and not ship you your merchandise, IIRC.

Take your receipt, go the PO, and tell them what happened, and you want it traced.

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
iwannadie said:
I hope you saved the money order stub or carbon copy?

No but I've got the record on my checking account online... Is that like... The same thing?

PO's closed... Have to wait till Monday I guess... Crap... What happens when I ask to have it traced?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
You NEED your stub from the MO, otherwise, you're pretty much screwed.

They trace it down, see if it was cashed. If not, you get your money back. If it was cashed, they can find out where, and by whom, and when. Then, you go to the State Attorneys office, and start the legal ball rolling!

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
You've done everything possible to ensure that you were going to get robbed.

Sorry it happened to you, but you took NONE of the precautions necessary to do business with unknown parties out of state and/or over the Internet.

#1 - Told him I could come pick them up locally, got the "Oh I'm away for the week..." And you believed this?

#2 - You paid with a money order. That's almost as bad as mailing cash.

#3 - You didn't keep reciepts or the carbon for the money order. You might as well have sent cash...

None of this excuses the guy if he robbed you, but you made it ridiculiously easy if he did. Shame on you as well.

Odds are, you are screwed. However, you might be able to help the next guy. Is this person a member here? If so post the name and PM me the cellphone and email address so I can start an investigation from this end.

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
Supracentral said:
Odds are, you are screwed. However, you might be able to help the next guy. Is this person a member here? If so post the name and PM me the cellphone and email address so I can start an investigation from this end.

No he's not a member here, but he WAS a very respectable member of i-supra.com, which is why I never suspected him. I can still give you his cell phone and address though if you can do anything about it...