maf translator & MAFT-PRO questions

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
So im looking to get rid of the afm. The lex afm is limiting me to 20psi, and also i'd like to have a better intake set up. So i was looking into the maf translator with the GM sensor that you can put in the IC piping. How exactly is this setup connected to the ecu? also will it alow me to run more boost than the lex afm will? Also how would this setup work with methanol injection? Thanks

Last edited:

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
considering what the maft pro can do, i wouldnt even bother with the maft-t. Yes its a bit more, but considering timing control and monitoring = bargain... not to mention it can control a meth kit as well...

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Im with Grim on this one. MAft-t will have its limitations. Go with maft-pro and be happy... or stand alone.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
I was not aware that Maft-pro would control meth and timing! how difficult is it to install maft-pro and to tune it? can it be street tuned or should it be dyno tuned?

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Had a couple more questions. i just read the install post. Does it matter what brand of Wideband i have? I have the AEM wideband will it work with Maft-pro? also how does Maft-pro control timing? does it require something extra? And whats the speed density? iv read that you can run with or without speed density.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Also, I already have a Profec B electronic boost controller. Do i need to use the Maft pro as the boost controller or should i continue to use my current controller?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
aem works fine, id stick to your current bc, it can be tuned like the safc and keep the afm or convert to speed density with the map sensor/ IAT sensor and tuned several ways with that as well. With the logging, street tuning is quite easy. I like using the ve table w/ laptop to get as precise as i can but you can tune with the key pad just like you do your safc.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
if you go to suprasport you can buy the whole kit for 750, that includes iat map boost control solenoid and all harnesses, the only other item if not already owned is the wideband.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Dyno tune is a necessity, Moreso for Ignition timing but either way, if its not tuned on a dyno its not fully tuned.

The MAFT PRO is a piggyback tuning device. The AEM wideband and the Profec B are standalone components. They dont have to work "Together" as much as you need to know how to use them together to be productive.

What kind of power are you making? If your running 20PSI on a 67mm turbo (as per your sig) You should be looking to go standalone soon if you want much more power. When you pull fuel from the TCCS stock tune by meas of piggy back your inadvertently adding ignition timing. Not to mention it gets to a point where piggy backs just cant do enough to get desired results.

20Psi on a 67mm Turbo is alot and if your looking to make more i would seriously suggest a standalone. Especially considering a MAFT PRO is only a few hundred cheaper then a Stinger V4. $1400 will get you the 8860 and a few more dollars get you a PNP AEM. With one of these systems the sky would become the limit.

No more playing with piggybacks trying endlessly to get a desirable part throttle mixture and playing with fuel pressure and injector sizes to help with fuel cut. The MAFT translators are good, i ran the GEN2 and liked it very much but for anything more then 450hp i would recommend a standalone.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
If i buy all the parts seperaltly i would save close to $200 because i dont need to buy the wideband.. i would love to go standalone, but i cant afford to dump that large sum of money into my car, $1500 or so for the kit, pay to have it properly installed & tuned. Looking at over $2000 easily. maft-pro i'll spend like $525 i think is what i figured up, i can install that myself and for the most part tune it myself. Im not looking to make insane power, im simply wanting to get rid of my AFM and safc so the car will have a much safer/better tune than it does now.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
suprafanatic;1525738 said:
If i buy all the parts seperaltly i would save close to $200 because i dont need to buy the wideband.. i would love to go standalone, but i cant afford to dump that large sum of money into my car, $1500 or so for the kit, pay to have it properly installed & tuned. Looking at over $2000 easily. maft-pro i'll spend like $525 i think is what i figured up, i can install that myself and for the most part tune it myself. Im not looking to make insane power, im simply wanting to get rid of my AFM and safc so the car will have a much safer/better tune than it does now.

Problem with the MAFT, is even the pro is a piggy back, your tune wont be much safer with the pro then your setup with the SAFC. In essence they all do the same thing. Granted the PRO has more flexible adjustments but either way your still tricking the stock TCCS into working how you want it to behave.

Mass air is more accurate then speed density as theres no guess work on the amount of air flowing into the engine. The SAFC and MAFT (Pro, Original, Gen 2) are all essentially the same thing, they intercept and modify the AFM signal to the TCCS.

Using a system to remove the AFM isn't going to be better just because it does so. The limit is the TCCS not the AFM setup.

Also, unless you pull more fuel, fuel cut will stay the same with either system. So if you go MAFT pro then plan on larger injectors/higher base fuel pressure and pulling more fuel if your goal is higher fuel cut.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
stinger is by far the best bang for the buck. however, not everyone can go wire it up, set a base map and go. then tune fuel and spark tables. you can damage stuff in a hurry if you arent careful. with the maftpro, while quite limited in regards to a full standalone, atleast you have the stock ecu to take care of drivibility tuning and some failsafes if you get real stupid. don't get me wrong, you can still grenade your motor if you get careless with a maftpro, just saying it's a good "in between" if you aren't ready to take the step into full standalone.

also to consider, wiring and tuning will add a lot of cost to a stand alone if you cant do it yourself.

nate, how big of a hurry are you looking to do the switch over?