lumpy idle

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
no codes and iac is good. Ive been messing with the little tb stopper that has the 9 mm screw. Mine was turn all the way down not sure if it is spos to be like that or what. I thought it was from the factory open a bit but I don't remember.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
What codes does it throw right before it dies (per video)?

Like, hvyman said, you need to "cal" stuff in the correct order.

Idle adjustment screw on the TB (All the way in then back out half turn)
Throttle stop (you will need to adjust it so the throttle plate has the correct gaps, per TSRM)
Dash pot (per TSRM)
then TPS

It is much easier to do all of these with the TB off the engine

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
ok cool I will check the tsrm procedure for that. The check light was because the car died. Today thought I got a code 31 and a 51. Car drives well without the light coming on but when the idle gets low the light pops on. tps was 31 and afm is 51 according to tsrm.

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
So I put on a different tb that has not be messed with on the dash post or stopper screw. The car reves fine just wont hold a idle it will just die out no codes that come up. I think I may need a afm not sure if mine is bad or what I need to hit up the junk yard and get one.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
kakanator;2018981 said:
tps was 31 and afm is 51 according to tsrm.

That is backwards, but you probably just typed it that way. 51 will go away when the throttle is set as already described in the thread. 31 should be checked with your multimeter set to Hz and reading the signal when running bad and running good. Then make sure the PCM is getting that signal if you don't see a discrepancy at the meter itself.

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Ok so I went out to install that sensor I picked up today off a 1uz. Found that the afm that was on there someone messed with the plugged screw that is not meant to be adjusted it was backed all that way out. Also the clip that goes into the afm sensor, the water seal inside it was all crusty and would not let the clip lock in place. So I had a different stock afm with no sensor but the screen was fucked on. I had 3 afms and i mcgivered 1 out of 3. Given I reset the battery so I still need to do a bit of driving before I can say all is good. But so far with just going around the block no stalling no lumpy shit and drives smooth.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
DeMoN2318;2018920 said:
Like, hvyman said, you need to "cal" stuff in the correct order.

Idle adjustment screw on the TB (All the way in then back out half turn)
Throttle stop (you will need to adjust it so the throttle plate has the correct gaps, per TSRM)
Dash pot (per TSRM)
then TPS

It is much easier to do all of these with the TB off the engine

Did you do all of this?

I the A/C button on or off? If it is on, it will throw a code 41

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Nick M;2019662 said:
41 has nothing to do with A/C switch. Open circuit means just that. The circuit is not complete.

Yep, your right...I got it confused with Code 51

Last edited: