LSx Swap Guys? Looking For Contacts

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
I was wondering if any guys who have done these swaps are still around like IJ? What happened to IJs build thread whenever I find a link to it it has been disabled. I'm gaining all the info I can on a 5.3 Vortec TT swap with an auto.

Have most things figured out, still trying to decide on a transmission. The 4l80e is the best option but it's very heavy and will require some cutting and hammer to fit but will easily hook up to the GM motor and computer. I've been finding some sites that build a340e's that can run 8-9s in full weight Supras. But I can't find information on possibly hooking it up to a 5.3 with a full manual shift box. In 90s jeeps also used aisins so one could get a LSx to Jeep adapater which would make the r154/w58 hook up, but I haven't found good info on the a340e. Anyone want to chime in on options would be great, I lik ethe idea of keeping it lighter and not cutting up and hammer my unibody!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you can source the aluminum block 5.3 that will help with weight. Obviously. I wouldn't otherwise use it in a Supra. An LS1-LS3 is a better starting point.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
I'd rather just going with the iron block because they're proven over 700whp on stock bottom end without issues and less than half the price of the ls1 at least. After research on LS1tech: 5.3 Vortec ARP headstuds, ls9 gaskets, twin gt35 t4 turbos (CXRacing Kit), ls6 intake and cam, fuel injectors, IC and fuel support and a tune should be easy 600whp at ~10-14psi. And going bigger power over the long run will be much cheaper and easier with the LS than a 1/2jz swap with the amount support it has even CXracing makes a full twin turbo kit for it in our car. Also if my dad wants to fund a project because he's wanted to put an ls in something for so long who am I to say no? :) I will miss 7m sound though.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Eh knock off won't be bad, if turbos go bad just get ones of higher quality. As much more simpler as that sounds, I cannot have a supra without a turbo. If I was just looking for quickest easy power I'd just have bought an f-body a long time ago! But to be honest a 600hp 5.7 NA sounds like big costs in money and only power up high unless you're running nitrous.

Anyways the point of this thread is asking if anyone has IJ's email or knows someone else I could get in contact with about doing the swap for tips issues they ran into and all that.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
youd be better off running a single. Use a borg warner s475 or similar. they can be had for relatively cheap and will actually last longer and make better power than anything(cheap) else out there.
With a single it will be lighter, easier to plumb, less heat, from what I've seen of the junkyard swaps you can flip the headers and point them forward.

Sounds like you want to build a drag car?

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Well I think I decided I'm just going to sell my prius once I finish college, working on the supra in the mid time and eventaully going back to it as my daily driver along with my bicycle (ha!). I drag raced at Import Alliance here in Kentucky and I had a blast! I'm still building a daily car but I may just end up setting it up more for straight line due to I can't imagine ever having money to run a road course and running 400+hp for a first time racer seems dumb. Rather run a stripped 240 or corolla or something, would like tha tmore anyways.

I'm not set on twins, other guys who have done these swaps have said s475 is perfect for the 5.3. The twins just sounded lovely to me because there is already a kiut made my cxracing for it, and the symmetrical engine bay looks beautiful. With a single I'd have to pay someone to weld me up some funky piping setup, I don't have any decent welder friends so it'd probably just be cheaper to get the kit for now. You can flip headers but they won't clear the steering column so well have to get compact ones. It just sounds nice to me, when they designed a twin turbo sysmem IN OUR CAR. Not just any 5.3 TT setup.

On a side-note. Is there a guide anywhere on setting up the mk3 for weekend warrior drag racing? Every bushing in the car has been replaced by energy. The 5.3 would have almost solid motor mounts. I already have battleversion traction bars (Not realyl sure how strong they are.) I'm thinking about keeping my tokico illumia and putting a stock spring back in so I can fit 28" 15x10 or 15x8s in the rear. Performabuilt 4l60e warrantied at 800whp. Driveshaft should hold fine? The question is just the rear end. Goal will be 600whp.