LSD leaking... Ideas?

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Ok, so yes the differential will be out of the car, I think I would be crazy to leave it in to do all this! ha ha
So I need to pick up the crush sleeve and two snap rings. And then a new nut and the washer that goes behind it. Anything else? And does anyone know if I can pick up these three items anywhere other than Toyota? Will the one on the ebay link posted work on my 4:3 LSD?
Thanks again guys! You've all been very helpful.
Trevor

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Or you can just go with spacer as once it's set it WON'T lose preload (this is a GOOD thing).

Read that link I posted on beefing up the diff. I've grenaded a diff in my truck because a previous owner changed the pinion seal and the crush sleeve issue wasn't fixed... 4 teeth sheared off the pinion (31" tires, 4.11 gears, and low range t-case).

Diffs aren't too hard to do, they just take some specialized tools that most people don't own...

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Ok so the Crush Sleeve Eliminator that is from the ebay link posted would work? And would this be sufficient or should I still get shims. I did read through the link you posted poodles and I would definitely like to beef up the differential, but don't really want to remove anything past the crush sleeve, do the shims go on after or before the sleeve? And is the nut and washer for the companion flange a Toyota only part?
Thanks again for all the help!

So, I took another look at the link you posted Poodles and it looks like the shims go onto the back of gear, I don't think I would be capable of tackling this, but the crush sleeve eliminator would be good...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It really depends on your budget. If mine ever starts leaking from the pinion, I'm rebuilding the diff (or buying a replacement pumpkin for the time being)

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Well budget is pretty small. As far as I can tell it is really only leaking from the left shaft seal, I just want to replace them all while I have it out. Its mostly a weekend driver, so I don't necessary need it to handle 400+ horse, but would like it to not crap out on me if I decide to take it to the strip on the weekend on 16 pounds of boost (rebuild ct-26, so flow not too extreme :nono:).
So do you know of a place I can pick up the nut and washer and snap rings other than Toyota? I guess I will just buy that crush sleeve eliminator off the link posted from ebay... I do need the 8" Toyota Diff, for a 4 cly right?
Thanks again!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, if it's JUST the shaft seal, replace that one, don't mess with the pinion seal...

Also, you need the crush sleeve eliminator from a V6/Turbo model truck (but if you're that far into the diff, rebuild it...)

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Poodles;1295191 said:
Well, if it's JUST the shaft seal, replace that one, don't mess with the pinion seal...

Also, you need the crush sleeve eliminator from a V6/Turbo model truck (but if you're that far into the diff, rebuild it...)

I see, Well maybe I will start with replacing the shafts and if the front pinion seal starts or appears to be leaking as well then I will get it rebuilt when I get the money... Thanks for all the help Poodles, it has been very informative.
Thanks again everyone,
Trevor