ls6 powered mk3?

GImk3

Sep 24, 2012
nj
I just gutted my mk3 for a swap,I plan on putting in a chevy ls6,but thought I should get some other supra guys opinions first,any thoughts for a different swap,general opinion or advice will be appreciated.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Here ya go a full BPU 1JZ vs a Camaro LS6 swap wih exhaust and intake and tune no cam

[video=youtube;f0cR-0fO0Ig]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0cR-0fO0Ig[/video]

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
hvyman;1878090 said:
Go for it. Ls6 with cam intake exhaust and tune would be fast.
I'm with this guy on this one. We had a member on here a while back who did this. In the end I think he sold the car, or parted it out, I forget, but it was badass. His forum name was Syst if I remember correctly.

Another benefit to this (other than the beautiful sound), the LS motors take well to boost as well. Ask IJ sometime. Oh, and there is the handling benefit of losing 80ish lbs off the nose, and positioning the weight further back in the chassis...

Turbo Habanero;1878096 said:
Here ya go a full BPU 1JZ vs a Camaro LS6 swap wih exhaust and intake and tune no cam
I'm sorry, but a light up "camaro" has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. All the times I had fun with my car, I sure as shit didn't want people identifying my car if I could help it. :p

GImk3

Sep 24, 2012
nj
I leave for 16 weeks of army training on October 8th,I plan on starting as soon as I'm done,all I hear from my 240sx friends is 1uz,but I think I like the ls more.Any thoughts?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
1UZ is mostly bolt in, but it's only a 4.0. The LS motor is far larger displacement, and parts are available and cheap to make a lot of power (something the 1UZ lacks)

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Poodles;1878425 said:
1UZ is mostly bolt in, but it's only a 4.0. The LS motor is far larger displacement, and parts are available and cheap to make a lot of power (something the 1UZ lacks)

1uz is about as bolt in as the LSx motors. The Mk4 chassis is another story. It drops right in that one.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
Poodles;1878425 said:

I think Top Secret did a twin turbo 1UZ Mk4 a while back and made like 1200hp, but again, it's Top Secret and I'm pretty sure they custom fabbed damn near everything in the car. So I agree with Poodles, the market for parts for a 1uz is very limited, whereas the LS motors have stuff readily available damn near everywhere. I think an all-motor LS build would be effin sick in an Mk3. You'll scare the crap out of everyone, especially if it's got a heavy cam setup. People might think the car is broken and about to die...until you leave the line with the front end in the air haha

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
te72;1878334 said:
I'm sorry, but a light up "camaro" has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. All the times I had fun with my car, I sure as shit didn't want people identifying my car if I could help it. :p

lmao Brad yeah it's not my car lol

Here's the same Camaro getting his ass handed to him by a neon lol

[video=youtube;3gkZfNsaHgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gkZfNsaHgc[/video]

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
Turbo Habanero;1878440 said:
lmao Brad yeah it's not my car lol

Here's the same Camaro getting his ass handed to him by a neon lol

Hahaha dude got beat by a skittle lol he tasted the rainbow, and it left a sour taste in his mouth haha

GImk3

Sep 24, 2012
nj
Yeah that's what I told my friends,its just so easy to get ls parts and way cheaper then 1uz.What kind of cams should I go with?I'm trying to plan this now so I can get done before I leave for training again,I'm trying out for special forces next year

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
HMNGSupraMKIII;1878477 said:
It would be a cool build. Never seen a ls6 supra yet.

ls6 is the same as the ls1 except different cam, intake, a slight bump in compression, better heads with a lighter valvetrain. There are few differences in the blocks but very minor. They were built for the c5 Z06 and put out 405hp compared to the ls1 350hp rating. Both have the same 5.7l displacement.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Cams intake exhaust and tune and your at like 600hp. That's all you really need unless you want to get crazy. Big core solid cams sound sick.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
GImk3;1878531 said:
How do you guys feel about a supercharger?
Supercharged LS in an Mk3...DO IT! I would recommend an upgraded rear end, that much power and you're liable to break something. Just my opinion. You might be fine on the stock rear end, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Just my $.02

GImk3

Sep 24, 2012
nj
Haha yeah I'm surprised nobody has gone into a 2j ramble.You guys know how much the stock mk3 rear can take?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Slayr504;1878441 said:
Hahaha dude got beat by a skittle lol he tasted the rainbow, and it left a sour taste in his mouth haha
Must be getting late, that was the funniest thing I've seen all day... well, second funniest. There was this monkey on an island...

lowtaco;1878544 said:
Awesome! LS6/M6 should be a wicked setup.
Im waiting for someone to chime in "but a 2JZ blah blah blah...."
JZ is the way to go if you're updating but still want to stay I6, but if you have the means to do it, why NOT LS swap? :D

GImk3;1878584 said:
You guys know how much the stock mk3 rear can take?
Plenty. There is a thread in the dyno/racing section on here, showing Monster Performance's Mk3 drag car. It is a bit nuts to say the least. Stock rear as far as I'm aware, although they were looking into other options as well.

Supercharger would probably be nice if you're at a high elevation like me, but otherwise I would say it would be unnecessary.