LS1 MK3 Questions

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
First of all, flame suit is on. I will be putting either a LS1, or LS6 in my car. In the process of building my parts list and budgeting correctly. I have a decent idea on what is involved in the swap. I will be running the R154, and 2 questions arise. Clutch systems that work with the LSX series. Can i use all the stock stuff off the R154 i have or will it involve something custom or fabricated. Second question is rear end. Will the Stock MK3 rear end and axles be able to handle the torque and LS motor puts out? If not any suggestions on what to do as to fix the issue would be a great help. I understand all the work IJ went through to get his LS to work properly, but is it required? Not cheaping out on anything but just asking questions that arise. I have searched and about the best info i can find is obvioulsy IJs picture thread. So any and all info on my questions and the LSX swap would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Okay, from what i read (i am no expert, just saying) I've heard that our axles are actually quite strong, and you should more than likely be okay with that.

As far as the rear-end goes, i'm just going to say it's safe to assume you should upgrade it.

You're going to have to get a custom bell housing to mate up to the Ls motor.

As far as the clutch systems go, I have no clue. Either way there is going to be a lot of custom fabrication for this process.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Your drivetrain will be fine for the power.

Clutch is transmission specific, not engine specific. You'll need to find one that will suit an LS' flywheel though.

My best advice would be to look up a thread by Syst as well, he swapped an LS6 into his with some pretty good success IIRC.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The fact that they still don't even use 4 valves per cylinder on the ls motors really turns me off from them. I can't believe the newer ones are still using 20 year old technology...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
suprarx7nut;1784518 said:
The fact that they still don't even use 4 valves per cylinder on the ls motors really turns me off from them. I can't believe the newer ones are still using 20 year old technology...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I don't want to de-rail this thread but, real quick.

although I agree with you on how it's ancient technology. It's kind of at the point of 'don't fix it if it ain't broke'

I mean, yes lolpushrods, but in all seriousness. The Lsx motors are...How do i say. Incredible.

Light weight (dare anyone to look up the weight specs and say I'm wrong)
Great torque and horsepower. Stock. Let alone mods and all.

Super reliable. Dat v8 noise. etc etc.

I'm not really a chevy guy per se, but holy moly, the Lsx series has got it right.

Oh and good mpg's too.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nick M;1784511 said:
I think it is a great idea.

Compton74;1784515 said:
As much as I'd like 1 or 2j I'm such a big Chevy guy at heart and I think in the end the pros outweigh the cons, but thanks for the support!
I don't think Nick was being sarcastic there man. They're a good motor, and I've always liked them (T56 trans are nice too), BUT... GM stuck them in some crappy cars, quality-wise. That's why I will always support an LS swap into a better car. Best of both worlds if you ask me...

suprarx7nut;1784518 said:
If you haven't already, give one a chance and take a drive in one. Despite being pushrod and all, they do have some pretty nice powerbands overall. They actually have decent top ends, especially once you free up the exhaust. Would I like to see a DOHC based on the LS design? Helllll yes I would. Might be a bit heavier, but can you say 100hp/L v8? ;)

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
te72;1784652 said:
I don't think Nick was being sarcastic there man. They're a good motor, and I've always liked them (T56 trans are nice too), BUT... GM stuck them in some crappy cars, quality-wise. That's why I will always support an LS swap into a better car. Best of both worlds if you ask me...

If you haven't already, give one a chance and take a drive in one. Despite being pushrod and all, they do have some pretty nice powerbands overall. They actually have decent top ends, especially once you free up the exhaust. Would I like to see a DOHC based on the LS design? Helllll yes I would. Might be a bit heavier, but can you say 100hp/L v8? ;)

oh yea i know he wasn't being sarcastic was just stating my thoughts on going LS1. so hopefully everything falls in line just trying to budget, and get everything together.

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
If you get a LS1 try to get an 01 and up-has the better oil pump and the LS6 intake. Some 02s had the LS6 block-no real benefit of that though.

If you get an LS6 get one from an 02 and up Z06-better cam and light weight valves. 25HP more at the crank