low/rough idle

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
My car is running really bad right now. It idles between 2 and 5 hundred rpms, and if I let it sit long enough (less than a minute) without putting my foot on the gas pedal, it will stall out. And while it's idling, its kinda surges up an down a little bit, and is really choppy, it kinda sounds like I have aftermarket cams. It's not throwing any codes, and I don't know if this is related or not, but the exhaust smells really bad. Thanks in advance for the help.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I'd check for vacuum leaks and unmetered air leaks between the AFM and throttle body. What's your timing set at? Do you have a wideband and/or boost gauge? (I'm guessing not on the boost gauge since you're NA but it never hurts to ask ;) ) These can help with troubleshooting.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
I dont have a wideband or boost gauge. I'm not sure what the timing is set at, according to the previous owner it has either slightly bigger cams or slightly advanced timing. I cant remember which, tho, but it has ran fine until just a few days ago, but I will check vacuum lines and such. I'll see if my dad has a timing light so we can check the timing as well.