losing oil somewhere?

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
I put in a new 7mgte last year and had no issues with it all year.... oil levels stayed consistent... coolant was real nasty and plugged up my radiator causing me to over heat twice last year... flushed my system for four hours last summer ( it was baby shit brown, but the car has a history of three BHG) and haven't had a problem since.. on my new engine I put a hks headgasket had the head machined and ARP headbolts torqued to 80 ft lbs... My coolant is rusty looking but the level hasn't changed in a year... My plugs look great, a little little bit ashy but there two years old and I ran some shitty gas in it last year when I lost my job... I have no blue smoke outta the exhaust... only a real little bit on start up for about 5 seconds, it starts with less then 3 cranks, But heres the real kicker... I'm losing about a half quart for every 500 miles I drive... and NO I have NO leaks... so any Ideas?
PS... compression test was completely normal....
but there is a oil residue in my intake and 3000 pipe... but the turbo seems to have no immediate issues and spools great...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
did you use a blown headgasket tester?

and its rusty right now?

no leaks + missing oil = good chance its going in the coolant

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
tlo86;1315641 said:
did you use a blown headgasket tester?

and its rusty right now?

no leaks + missing oil = good chance its going in the coolant

Don't overlook the possibility of a crack in the turbo housing, oil could infiltrate the coolant that way too.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Why is it rusty? Are you running pure water?
(this really needs to be fixed)

Have you done any PCV mods?

A blown turbo seal is a lot more likely than a cracked center housing.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
If you had done the flushing as you described, the would be little reason for the coolant to be rusty, which is why, along with your missing oil, it seems to us that your oil is going into the coolant. Doesn't mean we're right, just seems plausible with the evidence given.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
jdub;1315932 said:

In my turbo tear downs, it seemed like the water jacket was totally enclosed, and the seals were just for oil, which is why I postulated a cracked housing. The last time I disassembled one was about two years ago, so I could be remembering incorrectly.

Last edited:

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
jdub;1315932 said:
Why is it rusty? Are you running pure water?
(this really needs to be fixed)

Have you done any PCV mods?

no... I'm running coolant.... but the radiator is aftermarket (i'm wondering if it's not a cheap radiator and is corroded, b/c the rusty color definitely came from the radiator when I flushed it... the engine flushed clean)...not my doing was on the car when I bought it... I haven't done any mods to the PCV... if it's a blown turbo seal, what exactly are the symptoms? does it affect power or smoking upon start up or after sitting at idle?

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
Bump, went through another quart of oil, my coolant is still nasty brown.. the oil has no milky look to it at all tho. car runs/starts just fine, no loss of power so i dont think its head gasket.. i'm going to flush the radiator and motor sometime soon and see what turns up.. it does have a small leak from the valve cover and cam sensor gaskets onto the exhaust manifold, but i didnt think that much was comming out ( it doesnt make it to the ground )

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
But like I said there's no oil in the coolant, not coolant in the oil, no loss of compression, no loss of power... everything is how it should be... I'm starting to think the turbo is eating it... but shouldn't that cause a cloud of smoke when I boost? cause there's nothing.... and the turbo boosts fine...

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
so I think the whole mess is gonna have to wait....

getting a tow home...... $0

new water pump..........$0

Breaking down in front of everyone you demolished and all your coolant on the ground....... $ PRICELESS

and there is oil coming out of the exhaust... it decided to really show itself last night...

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Supralover87;1321467 said:
so I think the whole mess is gonna have to wait....

getting a tow home...... $0

new water pump..........$0

Breaking down in front of everyone you demolished and all your coolant on the ground....... $ PRICELESS

and there is oil coming out of the exhaust... it decided to really show itself last night...

Blown turbo seals most likely cause of that. If it was burning oil it wouldn't be liquid in the exhaust. Must be going directly into the exhaust through the blown seals.

Supralover87

Beauty and the Boost
May 21, 2007
Ohio
thank you... that's what I was thinking to... anyone know a cheap place to get a good rebuild kit for the ct - 26 ?

Changed the water pump and no more brown coolant... :naughty:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Unfortunately, you will have to send it out or go local for a turbo rebuild. It will have to be rebalanced...not something you can do at home. At least, if you want it to last any length of time.