Loosing ALOT of oil. anyone else have this problem?

LordChase

Boost Lover
Dec 11, 2006
Greenwell Springs, LA
My car has been loosing about 3 quarts of oil a week. ive been under the car and its completely covered and kind of hard to tell where the leak is comeing from. i was wondering if anyone has had this problem or any advice.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Clean the engine bay from top to bottom.
Run it.
Crawl around under over side ect... and locate the origin of the leak.
Could be an assortment and combination of many different seals gaskets or other problems you are experiencing. But 3 quarts is alot.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Check the front a rear seals, check the oil filter area (check to see if it is tight), check the drain plug area (check to see if it is tight, could also be a bad plug gasket), and check the oil pan bolts to see if they are loose, and check to see if oil is coming from above the oil pan.

chris717

Banned
Dec 21, 2006
walnut creek, ca
what do you have to do to change the valve cover gasket??
And how hard is it.....
please help
in detail noob:1zhelp:
i have alot of oil where my spark plugs are..
also i how i change that sensor for the temp gauge. :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
how to change the valve cover gasket???
-Take off valve cover via screws
-Take off old gasket
-Put on new gasket
-Replace valve cover and torque screws to spec

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Yea, valve cover gaskets could definately be the bad dude on this engine. Should be obvious, there outta be oil in your spark plug galley and on the sides of the valve covers. Not a bad fix, I think it takes around an hour or 2 if you take your time and are careful.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
It's a blown head gasket.

Give it an oil change after taking it to an automatic carwash and cleaning the underbelly. Flush the radiator. Look for oil and coolant mixes. There shouldn't be any of these two fluids mixed.

Cam covers, ya very possible. Being that you have it under the engine everywhere. Check the oil cap for froth on the inside of the cap. Look for milky looking oil. Are you puffing any smoke, during start up and or under load?

I like to assume the worst that way when it's not that..., we're still stellar.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
To change the valve cover gaskets, you need to move the y-pipe, throttle body, throttle linkage, and.... well, get out there with a 12mm, 14mm, 10mm(these would be wrenches and sockets), Haynes manual, and figure it out. It's not that hard, I've done mine in around an hour(including retorquing the head). Helps that I work on cars for a living, though....

Do you own any tools? If not, go to Sears and buy a set like this:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
Nice, inexpensive set of beginners tools, and you can always get more stuff to add to it later.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
chris717 said:
lol my g/f just bought me that tool set for my birthday :)
what would you rate changing the valve cover gasket? 1- 10
1 easy- 10 hard

Good. Now go get a tool box to keep it all organized in(you'll fill it up eventually ;)). 2 All the bolts are easy to see, and you can move a couple things to make them easier to get to.
FYI: There's 3 bolts on each runner of the Y pipe where it bolts to the intake plenum.