Looking to go single, build me a kit!

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
I have a 1J with Emanage Blue, stock injectors, Driftmotion 2.5 in pipes, 3 inch ex, and i'm looking to go single.

Looking for some helping picking out a system, my budget is around $2500ish. Any help would be great.....

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Grab one of the 1JZ kits from Drift Motion. Comes with everything you need. No need to try and piece anything together from different places and hope it all fits together. At least you know with the kits from DM everything fits.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
DM kits are good. A guy i know use the 57 trim kit on his stock 1JZ. Handled 2,5 year of race drift-abuse @ 16psi without a single miss.
Nice value for money really... because once you start collecting parts yourself, it WILL get expensive....far more expensive than a DM-kit.

Combine a DM kit with some 440's and you'll see some decent numbers.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
If you order the dm kit find some good mls gaskets don't use the supplied paper ones. Also take time ti file the flanges flat. I road in mrk3tattos supra with a dm kit in it he is running the 67 divied ar70 and his car spools like crazy for that size of turbo. I belive he is running 20psi with no issues for the last 5 months

scmaluco

May 16, 2012
BayArea
seoul4korea;1923202 said:
I have a 1J with Emanage Blue, stock injectors, Driftmotion 2.5 in pipes, 3 inch ex, and i'm looking to go single.

Looking for some helping picking out a system, my budget is around $2500ish. Any help would be great.....

i pieced my kit together, but it came out to be just about the same amount of $ as the DM kit.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
can't believe no one has mentioned getting cams. this is just my opinion, but i was more happy getting cams then going single. food for thought

scmaluco

May 16, 2012
BayArea
scottiedawg66;1923634 said:
What manifold do they use in the dm kit?

scottiedawg66;1923634 said:
What manifold do they use in the dm kit?

looks like an ebay manifold SS autochrome. from what i've been told they clean up the rough edges and blemishes on the inside... i ended up going with a XS Power manifold. one thing i noticed is that my flange is not angled like everyone elses are.. so my turbo sits straight foward. my HX35 has a T3 flange which is devided, but my manifold is undevided.

here's a pic of my engine bay.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
SupraMedical68;1924348 said:
Don't use the wastegate and you'll be fine. Also, If you do use the wastegate; only use it until you can afford to purchase a real one.

I planned on dumping the wastegate, Arron quoted me with a price without the waste gate. Would a Tial 38mm waste gate be fine? I'm not trying to go crazy and max every thing out.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
I guess it all depends on the amount of CFM you'll be pushing ultimately.
-which turbo will use
-what A/R size
-how much boost roughly
-desired whp goals on a dyno

I don't see why you couldn't run a Tial 38mm on a 57 trim, but seriously don't quote me on that. If you pick one of the Tial 44s (new or old style) or a Turbosmart 45mm you should have some good headroom longterm. Not much price different really.

I run a Tial 46 right now, but that's overkill. I only used it because it replaced the fake Tial 46 that I used for about a 1000 miles max. It is a perfect fit the manifold though with out modification though.

bkma71

supra coupe
Jun 7, 2005
troutdale, Oregon
Personally i dont think id go with a dm kit again. Manifold is less then satisfactory imho. Barely slides over studs nuts foul the runner welds have to change 3 studs with shorter ones crap looking welds. Dump tube wasnt as pictured for me oil return line was to short in my kit(i think aaron would fix this for me just havent had a chance to call him) dp will not work with narrow band without adding flange and even then ive heard it needs modifying to fit our cars lots of people bad mouth the turbos and wastegates too but thats kind of a hard call. I mean all in all it works with some work. But i think id go for the suprastore quicksilver kit if i were to do it over or just piece it together but deff spend a lil more on the mani id personally like a sch10/40 manifold on my next go around rather then tube.

I bought the kit minus turbo thinking i could build the kit with a bw turbo for almost the same price as their with turbo kit unfortunately using a bw turbo has caused problems in itself i just hope in the end its worth it

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH