looking to buy act,spec or comp clutches. any comments on any of them?

peste noire

Jan 11, 2012
los angeles,CA
yea so im looking to buy either act,spec or comp clutches.

i want something that would handle 400whp safely so im looking at a stage 2 thats not a six puck since most of them have a harsh engagement.

any comments or feedback on them would really help.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I have an ACT 6 puck sprung disc with stock PP. I don't like the chatter. I don't like how you have to baby it just to try to get smooth engagement out of it. Some people say you'll get used to it, and learn how to let it out smoothly in time. I wish I would have went full face. I member here in town has a spec stage 3+ and that puppy lets out very smoothly & holds plenty of RWTQ. If and when I have the money that's the route I'm taking.

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
peste noire;1838787 said:
yea cause i was reading some article and it said that 6 pucks usually have a harsh engagement.

That they do....I can vouch for it. There's times where it damn near rattles my fillings out of my teeth...

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I have an ACT 6 puck stage 3 clutch.

I was worried about the engagement, too, but the only time I've ever had it judder was when I was letting it out at ~600 RPM idle. (Stop 'n go traffic, and trying to see how low it could go.) At anything over 1,000 rpm, I've never had a problem. The only thing that I can say there is that I've driven cars with harsh clutches before, so maybe I am used to it?

I get smooth enough engagement with mine, though some of my passengers have noted that it is more abrupt than the stage 2 clutch was. You can definitely feel that it pushes harder at the friction point.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
same here, a lil annoying but ill live. act hd pressure plate and sprung 6 puck good for 522ftlbs running on 2jzgte on stock twins.

Captain

Sep 30, 2008
NM
I ve had full faced disks from both ACT and Spec and was pleased with both. My spec stage 2 held out great and felt as smooth as stock to me.

Nihiliz

Die Hard Supra Fan
Jul 23, 2007
United States
www.facebook.com
has anyone used a ACT extreme kit with full face disc? what kind of power has been made off them? like other than engangement with disc's are both rated for same torque?, im still new with how clutchs work, but wouldent the PP be whats important?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Im looking at the Spec Stage 5 (rated to 710 ft lbs of torque)

I was on a 6 puck with a heavy duty PP and slipped it on the dyno @ 23 lbs at 520 ft lbs of torque. Im looking at turning boost up to 28lbs so need something to hold. I was going to go with the ACT Extreme but thinking about getting the spec stage 5 instead.

Anyone used the spec stage 4 or 5 kits?