Looking to buy a supra.

Agentorange00

Ride hard and get off.
Feb 9, 2010
New York
Hey guys im looking to buying a supra soon and i just wanted to know so ups and downs about the cars like what engine should i look for, i know i want a turbo but what is the best running car i have seen alot of people sayin that the 2jz are great but im not sure i would like if you guys would give me some help and info on there cars thank you very much.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
engine doesnt matter for the car as long as the engine is built right and the OWNER keeps care of it. the engine can only do so much if the owner doesnt care about it.

most mk3's come with a 7mge or gte and some a 1jz which is illegal and a 2jz which can be legal as long as it has egr hooked up.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
You can find a really good condition turbo mk3 in that price range. Like the over member stated, 7m, 1j, 2j are all great motor as long as the owner has been taken care of it. Of course with the 7m, you should also want to purchase one that has a head gasket job done. For that price range i'd be paying for a running mk3 though.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
For a 7m, look to checking and replacing all old, cracked hoses, run a compression test, leak test, check the CEL for error codes, check the block above and below for fluid leaks, check the LSD in the back for leaks, ask questions like... "When was the brake pads last done/replaced?", "When was the timing belt replaced?", "Have all the other belts/pulleys been replaced?", "When was the last time someone replaced the spark plugs/wires?", etc. Check the engine for pulled cables/wiring/big gaping holes in the engine bay where a component used to be. Get the VIN and Carfax it to check things like maintenance schedules, accidents, etc. Check the tires for severely worn tread/uneven tread/numerous patches. Check for RUST. Take it to your local mechanic BEFORE buying it and have him inspect everything as well.

It's just like any other used 80's ~ 90's car. Know what you're getting into before getting into it. Don't be swayed by flashy mods like LEDs, engine chrome, turbo timers/boost controllers, pillar sway bars, nose/skirt/rear fender/bumper jobs. And if the OP says anything remotely similar to FCD or Fuel Cut Defencer, RUN, unless he replaced the ENTIRE fuel/air system. FCD is bad juju and can lead to BHG's and other nasty bits.

supraseoul1

Jan 9, 2010
connecticut
also a biggie is the 7m like to run low on engine oil always check that...if ur running low big onssiblity to a rod knock which menas supra out of commision

Agentorange00

Ride hard and get off.
Feb 9, 2010
New York
ok thank you so much guys i know a lot about older cars like 70 Ara just the newer cars you never know whats gunna go on them but thanks alot everyone.