Looking for a good engine shop in NJ

suprarenz

Mar 3, 2008
nj
Hello,to everyone I'm in central nj and I'm building a 7m-gte engine. I'm having some of the work done at eddies valve grinding shop in sayerville. I'm hoping someone has something good to say about this shop. its the only one that i found after a friend recommended it. I'm still looking for another shop ,its never a bad thing to know more then one good shop.

thanks to anyone
for any input

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
further up north in patterson nj, there is a shop called Royal Auto. Jim is an experienced and honest machinist. He was recommended to me by another member here who has had work dont there before.
Im currently getting work done there now. He rebuilt the head with a 5 angle valve job. He offers port and polishing but i didnt have the money to get that done. He is going to inspect, clean, machine, and bore out my block (once i get a new one). I brought him an extra block i had, and he called me the next day to let me know it had a small crack in it and that he wouldnt do the machining.
On top of that, his prices are great. The price he quoted me for the work (labor only) on the block and head rebuild is less than half of what a few other performance speed shops quoted me.
Hope this helps
-pete

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
hmm im in turnersville nj anything close to there?

someone on here told me about the place in patterson nj before

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
BrandonW;1034901 said:
hmm im in turnersville nj anything close to there?

someone on here told me about the place in patterson nj before

ive had the same problems finding local shops. especially places that have experience working on supras. i know there is a speed shop call e-shift performance further south from my area. i didnt get a quote from them, but i know they have lots of experience with mk4s. the only thing is that they dont do the machining in house, they send it out.... and they are expensive.
another place ive been recommended is broadway performance who has lots of supra experience (mk2, mk3 and mk4). they build performance race and street motors and can do lots of customization if needed. they are extremely expensive and waay out of my budget. its not that im trying to half-ass my build, its just that i dont want to pay twice the price for the same work just because they have a big name. if i didnt know anything about what had to be done, and had the money, then i would have went to broadway performance. you basically drop off the motor (or car) and pick it up a week or two later and it will be built to perfection.
Jim at Royal Auto offers the same services for much more reasonable prices, you just need to tell him exactly what you want done... he wont do any additional work that you dont request.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
would you rent out the torque plate? i imagine it to be cheaper to rent out the torque plate then to send my motor over to michigan to get bored.
-pete

927mgtepat

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Brighton, MI
I would rent it out, But we build so many 7M engines that we need to keep it in house. I might be gettign another one that we can rent out.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
927mgtepat;1035590 said:
I would rent it out, But we build so many 7M engines that we need to keep it in house. I might be gettign another one that we can rent out.

let me know if you have one in the near future. im hoping to get the work on my block done in the next 2 weeks and would feel much better using a torque plate.
-pete

suprarenz

Mar 3, 2008
nj
Guys thanks alot for the info. I've heard of b'way performance but didn't know about their pricing, maybe some day in the future I'll be able to use them but for now I'm out.