little radiator fan and condensor fan help

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
i notice my ac condensor fan and the little back up radiator fan would never cut on. i couldnt figure out what was wrong so i cut the power wire to the condensor fan and wired it to the a/c compressor wire. is this okay? the condensor fan comes on whenever i turn on the ac switch. since im sharing the current going to the compressor, will it hurt the performance of the ac copressor or a/c system?

the little radiator fan didnt work either so i ran the power wire to the green wire that comes off my turbo timer harness so the fan comes on whenever the engine is on stays on till the timer or ignition is turned off. is this okay?

i didnt know what relays to check so i ghetto rigged it. hope this is okay. i was overheating a little when my a/c was on full blast so i had to to it. thanks.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
No wonder your surpa is imperfect.

The condenser fan isn't supposed to run all the time but it won't hurt anything if it does. The particular way you mickey moused it is electrically bad though. You've now loaded the crap out of the magnet clutch circuit. It's not designed to handle that much current. I'm surprised you already haven't pop the AC fuse. You're also now running fan current through the dual pressure switch. When it eventually burns out from that load (why do you think the condenser fan fuse is 30 amp?) the AC system will quit working completely and you'll have to track that down. Plus the system will need to be emptied and recharged in order to replace it. That's going to be expensive. See how Cletus can come back to bite you?

Since the fan now works we know it's good. We also know the compressor circuit, which normally drives the fan via the condenser fan relay, is also good. Thus there can be only a few possible reasons why the fan wouldn't work before:

1) Bad 30 amp COS fuse.

2) Bad condenser fan relay. It's located below the battery.

3) Bad high pressure switch. It's located in the liquid line on the pax side fender.

4) A busted wire/bad connection. That includes the ground side. Who knows where it's located. Finding it is the fun part of electrical problems.

There could also be nothing wrong. The fan may not have come on simply because the high side pressure of the AC system never got high enough to turn it on. That would depend on the outside temperature. If it's "never" come on you probably have a problem though.

Blade2001

Apr 9, 2007
TX
I had wired a relay (toyota relay from a camry) parallel to the condenser fan relay. Relay is activated with a switch inside (only works with ignition on). This way, i have independent control over the fan, and AC circuit works as normal as well. But, I never had to use the fan since I had my head gasket replaced.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
ImperfectSupra said:
actually the fan comes on, it just come on really low barely moving or i should say, it moves very slow. about 60 rmp. what can that be

If the fan runs at normal speed after being connected to the compressor clutch the problem remains in one of the areas I mentioned. You're just going to have to run it down. Leave it as you did it and it's likely to bite you down the road.

My fans have a simple wiring mod that allows them to come on with the key off. It dumps the heat soaking that occurs in the coolant and engine bay after shutdown. Typically they only do it on very hot days.

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
okay i found that the high pressure switch wasnt connected and connected it. the fan came on, good, now my compressor clutch dont engage when the ac switch is activated. for the last few weeks the compressor would sometimes cut off for a few minutes and i would have to turn off the ac for a few minutes then turn it back on for the compressor to engage. what could thiis be a realy or fuse, where is the ac fuse i couldnt fine a fuse that say ac on it.

okay jet, the problem is at the dual pressure and high pressure sensor. i guess the high pressure sensor doesnt work so i ran a jumper to that wire connector and the compressor engaged right away. i rewired my little fan and condesor fan to its original and connecte the wire harness to the dual pressure sensor and wala.. the fans kicked on. thanks a lot jet. my ac is blowing super cold

Last edited: