little over heating problem !!!

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
For some reason it happens only when i go out street racing ! lol , hears the deal , after driving for like 2 hours , it tends to get a little hotter then usual , it dont smoke till u turn it off then it starts to whistle like a tea pot , also even when the cars cold the radiator light come on ! i was thinkin theres somthing wrong with my cooling system , im pretty sure it not my radiator couse its only like a year old , i just got a thermostat like not even 6 months ago ! i was thinkin the head gasket might be on its way out ! :cry: other then that it just sprays a little water out the coolant box..... any tips or pointers give a shout back ! thanks , MKIIIChuckY

C

Chad

If you cars turbo you should let it sit for a while b4 shutting it off. Idk if this will help you.. probly not...

74fa0b1f08.jpg

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
My suggestion right offf the bat is to get a block test.(tests for combustion gases in the rad). I assume it's blowing white smoke?

Make sure all of your other cooling components are work correctly such as the rad fan. I had my fan clutch go a few months ago and she overheated under consistant heavy boost. To test that try to move the fan when the car is cold... if it's pretty tough to spin youre fine but if it spins freely the unit is gone or on its way out.

I assume you know but the rad light is coming on because your resouvior is low... Probably because youre spitting the fluid out. Cool it on the street racing shit for a while until you get things figured out... If you dont take that as a sign to stop and get things checked out than you are begging for a BHG. My other suggestions would be to check your coolant mix.

dmlsupra

Sep 21, 2005
Quebec, Canada
MKIIIChucky said:
For some reason it happens only when i go out street racing ! lol , hears the deal , after driving for like 2 hours , it tends to get a little hotter then usual , it dont smoke till u turn it off then it starts to whistle like a tea pot , also even when the cars cold the radiator light come on ! i was thinkin theres somthing wrong with my cooling system , im pretty sure it not my radiator couse its only like a year old , i just got a thermostat like not even 6 months ago ! i was thinkin the head gasket might be on its way out ! :cry: other then that it just sprays a little water out the coolant box..... any tips or pointers give a shout back ! thanks , MKIIIChuckY

I have the exact same problem with my mkiii....except I don't race my car , but after long drive on the highway (1 hours or more) it tends to overheat, and all signal turn to blown head gasket. A friend of mine had the same problem also before he had to change is head gasket....

Oper8or

Apr 21, 2005
Greenback, TN.
I had the same problem which lead to a bhg. Seems the radiator was the root of all my problems. Take it and have it tested or just replace it. I've replaced the thermostat, waterpump, clutch and fan. Behold, the bhg was fixed. Then it still over heated after driving for about an hour. Put a new rad in and problem gone.
Hope this helps. If I am wrong... plain and simple. I'm no expert. But that is what happened to me.

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
mrnickleye said:
Uh...stop that street racing ?? Problem solved ! :biglaugh:

naa, i just go to watch n see whats up , wasnt a bad night , only when i got home it started smokin a little from the ride home !

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
Chad said:
If you cars turbo you should let it sit for a while b4 shutting it off. Idk if this will help you.. probly not...

74fa0b1f08.jpg

yea i know that 1 , let the turbo n everthing cool down its just N/A for now, i let it idle for like 30 seconds then turn it off , then like 15 sec. later after its off it stars smokin n sounding like its boiling

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
cramerizking said:
My suggestion right offf the bat is to get a block test.(tests for combustion gases in the rad). I assume it's blowing white smoke?

Make sure all of your other cooling components are work correctly such as the rad fan. I had my fan clutch go a few months ago and she overheated under consistant heavy boost. To test that try to move the fan when the car is cold... if it's pretty tough to spin youre fine but if it spins freely the unit is gone or on its way out.

I assume you know but the rad light is coming on because your resouvior is low... Probably because youre spitting the fluid out. Cool it on the street racing shit for a while until you get things figured out... If you dont take that as a sign to stop and get things checked out than you are begging for a BHG. My other suggestions would be to check your coolant mix.

I just go to watch n see some runs if u know what i mean , i only race if i see a nice match up for the n/a, :naughty: , last night was beat tho ,didnt overheat all night till i got home i had the blocke tested like 3 months ago , it was like in between 165-170psi each cylnder , i know what u mean with the fan clutch , i got 1 out a 91 lincoln couse its a four bolt fan clutch thats probly what the problem is + it spin real easy, it was fine when i 1st got it like 2 months ago! The shroud is gone , the bolt on the top left by the intake was a little messed up n dry rotted it got cought up in the fan n ripped off , havent been able to find 1...

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Block test is for BHG. The shop uses a chemical and a big glass thingy and sucks up some vapor from the radiator. It will tell if there is exhaust vapor in the cooling system.

Fan needs to be good, and a shroud is a MUST when you dont use electric fan.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
mrnickleye said:
Block test is for BHG. The shop uses a chemical and a big glass thingy and sucks up some vapor from the radiator. It will tell if there is exhaust vapor in the cooling system.

Fan needs to be good, and a shroud is a MUST when you dont use electric fan.

eh im calling bs on that one. I got into an accident a few months ago and am now missing the plastic fan shroud and undercarriage cover... neither of which has made a difference in my cars temperature or performance. I live down south so i deal with some pretty serious heat too.

anyway... chuck... what you are talking about is a compression test... which can also be used to gauge a blown headgasket. A cylinder with low compression can be a sign of a leak in that part of the gasket. If they were all fine that's a good sign... but i would still go for a block test anywa.

The block test is exactly what the guy about me said... the thing looks like a huge glass turkey baster. They place it on the opening of your radiator and the blue liquid inside will turn yellow if it detects the exhaust gases in your rad.

Hopefully this helps clear things up a little more.

MKIIIChucky

Sep 9, 2005
south jerzy
cramerizking said:
eh im calling bs on that one. I got into an accident a few months ago and am now missing the plastic fan shroud and undercarriage cover... neither of which has made a difference in my cars temperature or performance. I live down south so i deal with some pretty serious heat too.

anyway... chuck... what you are talking about is a compression test... which can also be used to gauge a blown headgasket. A cylinder with low compression can be a sign of a leak in that part of the gasket. If they were all fine that's a good sign... but i would still go for a block test anywa.

The block test is exactly what the guy about me said... the thing looks like a huge glass turkey baster. They place it on the opening of your radiator and the blue liquid inside will turn yellow if it detects the exhaust gases in your rad.

Hopefully this helps clear things up a little more.

I think i know what ur talking about with the glass thing its like a gauge!!! Im gonna talk with 1 of my dads old friends in Atlantic city , he works on muscle cars n does a lot of rebuilding... its like a machine shop , anyways ,,,, if the fan shroud n undercarridge isnt a problem then ima concentrate on gettin the block tested .. couse when i did my engine swap the guy who did it never put the under carridge back on, i didnt get the chance to get som1 to do the wiring soo i just dropped in another GE !!!!!

thanks 4 the addvice bro !!! ill hit u back when i get the chance to do the test ! .late. /// .ChucK