Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
Has anyone ever installed a Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan on a supra. I just installed one on my buddies fox body the other day and holly shit that fan pushes some air. He is pushing 523 whp and was struggling with the temps bouncing around 180-200 while moving and would have exceeded 200 while sitting if you let it. It had the flex-a-lite black magic fan on it which is supposed to flow 3200 cfm and this fan just put it to shame. I allowed it to reach 180 degrees at idle and flipped the fan on. It dropped it down to 160 degrees in 45 seconds sitting in the drive way. I will be pushing 600 whp on e85 in my supra and have a flex-a-lite fan that I plan on using. If it doesn't do the trick I may consider getting one.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Ford makes some nice electric fan setups. I have a Contour setup that will be going in my car if it'll fit. If not I'm getting the Koyo radiator... I'd be surprised if the MkVIII and Taurus/Contour aren't the same fans with different shrouds.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
leftynridge;1732699 said:
Has anyone ever installed a Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan on a supra. I just installed one on my buddies fox body the other day and holly shit that fan pushes some air. He is pushing 523 whp and was struggling with the temps bouncing around 180-200 while moving and would have exceeded 200 while sitting if you let it. It had the flex-a-lite black magic fan on it which is supposed to flow 3200 cfm and this fan just put it to shame. I allowed it to reach 180 degrees at idle and flipped the fan on. It dropped it down to 160 degrees in 45 seconds sitting in the drive way. I will be pushing 600 whp on e85 in my supra and have a flex-a-lite fan that I plan on using. If it doesn't do the trick I may consider getting one.

If i was you Lefty , i would just skip the flexalite fan and go straight with a Mark VIII fan or 90-94 v6 taurus/sable fan. They are both the same fans. YOU WILL NEED A BIGGER ALTERNATOR FOR THAT SECOND SPEED. I seen the reports were it pulls over 100amps for a second on high speed. Your will need at least a 10awg for the relay and the rest of the wiring. The low speed flows around 2500cfm and high speed over 4000 cfm. Driftmotion sells the high amp alternators for our cars and you can find em on ebay too. :beer:

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Here is the relay kit you want to use for the mark VIII / Taurus fan. If you can make it go for it :) .
http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MarkVIII

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
Yeah I have been really considering it. I have already purchased a 130 amp alternator and a yellow top battery. Now what about the ford contour electric fans. I know there dual electric fans. Any idea as to what cfm they flow?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
wont fit last I checked, cant remember if it was before I installed the AC though. grab a tape measure and check. Those fans are deceivingly thick.. the one I measured had a lot of material removed to make it thinner for a buddies Lincoln too.

Check into the dodge viper fans, those and the MK fans are used heavily by the dodge truck guys. The viper fan has performance levels rumored to be higher then the MK fans. When I installed it on my old truck, it sucked my shirt into the grill from 3 feet or so in front of the fan.. That one might be thinner, but it cost me near $300 5-6 years ago.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

And the current draw will be lower then the mk fan but still warrants at LEAST 10awg. Low speed 12awg melted on me in the texas heat after my first install.

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
Yeah I would just measure it myself but the motor is out and being rebuilt at the moment. I did purchase the flex-a-lite fan for my car which is still in the box never open. I just don't think its going to be enough for my application. Yeah agree about having a least a 10awg. Probably wouldn't heart to go with a 8awg. I read reports of that mark 8 fan pulling up to 90amps of current when kicking on high speed. Here is a an article of a guy who sales the fans and has flow tested them. He said that the mark 8 and Taurus fans have the same motor except the mark 8 has a 18" fan and the Taurus has a 16" fan. The flowed between 4500-4900 cfm pending the year and there condition.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/electronics/846721-custom-electric-fans-setups-mark-viii-tuarus-dual-ramcharger.html

I also was doing so reading about the Ford contour fan which is a dual 12" fans with a shroud. There is a vendor on ebay that sales them and says that they flow around 4000cfm. The nice thing about these are that the dimensions are almost perfect as to what you need and there only 3.25" thick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-93-Mustang-Taurus-CONTOUR-RADIATOR-COOLING-FAN-DUAL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d5Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d1243414769116892676QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ320631305146

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I have a Contour setup for my car sitting in my parts room right now. Haven't gotten around to test fitting it, but I'm thinking it might actually fit my setup, which is about as tight as it gets. Worst case scenario, I'll pull the PWR out, set it aside for now, and get a Koyo or some other aluminum radiator that will fit if the PWR turns out to be a negative.