Like what... How

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
So on my way to work the other day. The rear of the car felt a bit... Off and weird..

wqgBuyJ.jpg

Notice 4/5 lug nuts are suddenly missing.. Like.. How? So I call into work, boss is cool with it get my dad over to bring jack went to store to replace lugs and all. Get back with lugs take tire off. O god..

4MUPFBT.jpg

So I kind of freak out. Kind of upset, thinking I have to do shop work.. Whatever put the wheel back on, on 2 lugs drive it super slow back home. Look it up only costs about 25$ from toyota for 5 studs and shouldn't be too difficult to fix.

But seriously how does this happen -.-... 4 lug nuts fall off in one night and 3 studs break?

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
Does your wheel have the correct centre bore for the hub?
Or are you using hub centric rings/adapters to suit?

I'd suggest no, as all 3 studs have been sheared off at the hub line suggesting your studs were taking all the load...

Very lucky dude!

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
you can see in the first picture the stud in not lined up in the middle of the wheel's stud hole. maybe because 4 of the nuts are out but probably because they are not hub centric spacers. center your wheel and use a torque wrench to put the back on to spec

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's from a loose wheel.

As long as you have the proper lug nuts for the wheels then hub centric spacers are not needed.

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
It looks like you are using the stock lug nuts..

From those pictures, your wheels are made for acorn-type lug nuts, and the stock ones are the flat, washer-type lugnuts.

In other words, if you're using the stock lug nuts, you need to buy new ones that are correct for the wheel; before you lose all of your nuts.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
atmperformance;2032353 said:
you can see in the first picture the stud in not lined up in the middle of the wheel's stud hole. maybe because 4 of the nuts are out but probably because they are not hub centric spacers. center your wheel and use a torque wrench to put the back on to spec
Pretty sure it's just the picture angle.

But lol this is ridiculous. I'm just like. Something doesn't feel right and yeah this happens. Good thing I noticed it and randomly didn't do a pull because I do that a lot. Everything is original but the nuts are different, stock doesn't fit in those wheels I have now. I'm using the nuts that came with the wheels, the factory are definitely different. But Toyota has 5 studs for about 25$, to replace them People just hammer the old one's out, cut that cover plate behind the hub to get enough room to stick the new ones in correct?

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
yep replacing them is easy if you don't have ABS or cut the ABS cover.
also if you order them direct from the manufacture you'll pay closer to $2.50 a stud

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Really, it is a good idea to re torque aftermarket wheels in a hundred mile or so.

Make sure you use proper lug nuts.

I prefer proper hub centering rings on aftermarket wheels, even ones that become lug nut centering. IMO

Aug 24, 2009
Nirvana
I wouldn't use the free generic lug nuts they send out with wheels. Got me some chrome vanadium Gorillas. Also make sure the nuts are getting like 6 full rotations on the studs, might need longer studs.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
I LOVE Toyota! :)

Replacing these studs took about 30 minutes or so, toyota put notches in the plate so you can easily fit new ones in, I never cut anything. Check it out! jScboLO.jpg WSqewAb.jpg.

And got oem studs, something must have been loose for awhile and I just never realized it. Dumb mistake, lesson learned, went around and made sure every nut was at 85ftlbs.

suprajim54

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Like MK3pizzadriver says, you might need different lug nuts with your wheels. My car came with a set of 18x10 wheels in the back and the lug nuts were holding on by just a few threads. Two or three turns of the wrench and they were "tight". I bought some Gorilla extended shank lug nuts and got them to thread on at least 6 or 7 fulls turns. I feel much more confident in the mounting now.

Extended Tuner Lug Nut.jpg

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Like I said, I went over all the rims and with a torque wrench at 85 ftlbs, click on every other one. Also the wheel is aligned fine the picture just makes it look like it wasn't. Either way those notches in the plated made it super easy. :)

Melee_Falcon

Dec 3, 2013
Southern California
Wow, that's really lucky break. Good thing the wheel didn't take off on you!

I'm not sure if those wheels' center bore matches our hub, but it's usually recommended to use hub centric rings to center the wheels to the hub. Our hubs are 60.1mm and most aftermarket wheels aren't center bored for an exact fit so they can go on a variety of cars if they are slightly larger than the hub. Most wheel shops should sell them.

Bmettie

Apr 27, 2010
Florida
Melee_Falcon;2032502 said:
Wow, that's really lucky break. Good thing the wheel didn't take off on you!

I'm not sure if those wheels' center bore matches our hub, but it's usually recommended to use hub centric rings to center the wheels to the hub. Our hubs are 60.1mm and most aftermarket wheels aren't center bored for an exact fit so they can go on a variety of cars if they are slightly larger than the hub. Most wheel shops should sell them.
Yea, the studs are there to hold the wheel on, not hold the car up. You need rings or this will happen again.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
atmperformance;2032483 said:
I'd suggest he look over all his wheels

It was directly after your post. saying if you dont have to cut the abs cover. no abs on rear wheels. nothing to cut.