lexus afm question

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
does anyone know if i can ditch my hks VPC and use a lexus AFM???? i have the pfc fcon and gcc.....my car is a 87 turbo

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
You still need a piggy back to tune the car for the added air due to larger size maf. If you need the housing hit me up, i have 2 available

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
oldsking;1781239 said:
You still need a piggy back to tune the car for the added air due to larger size maf. If you need the housing hit me up, i have 2 available

ok thanks....can i use the HKS GCC i alraedy have? i wonder if it will work independent of the VPC...?? i hate being so ignorant ...im pretty shure my car has the 550 inj. not shure what they look like tho...i bought this car allready modded so im lost lol...and it runs good but im not diggin the low end throttle response associated with the VPC. it seems to run diff depending on atmospheric conditions. maybe im just in over my head.:nono: i knew i shouldda got a vette to fuel my mid life crisis.:evil2:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Yes, you can use the Lex meter. The car will run better with it, unless you have a bunch of problems to start with. You do need those 550's.

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
I have a Lexus housing and electronics if you need one.

When my car was with a stock turbo it ran way better with a VPC. Is your car tuned?

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
Mike Morris;1781841 said:
I have a Lexus housing and electronics if you need one.

When my car was with a stock turbo it ran way better with a VPC. Is your car tuned?

it runs pretty good actually. but every now an again it throws a lil fit...and the throttle response from idle to around 2500 is kinda lack luster... WOT it will nail yu back in the seat HARD..... ive never owned aturbo car b4 soo i dont have any reference as to how it should run....but is seems like it could run better to me. idk if the PO had it tuned or not. im really not crazy abot messing with the GCC settings and i have played with the VPc but it gets worse if i change anything. right now all the VPC knobs are at 12 except for initial response is at 1 and the opt out is at 5...it runs well enough thati enjoy driving it i just think it could be improved. currently the temp sensor for the VPc is mounted after the throttle body in the intake manifold. im tempted to move it to the IC pipe before the throttel body like in a stage 7 setup to see if that makes any diff. i live about an hour from atlanta so i could prolly find a good tuner i guess.

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
SideWinderGX;1782189 said:
I'd like to point out that the VPC is superior to the lexus afm in, oh, every way. Just because you are having a problem with it doesn't mean you should replace it. Find the problem.

oh i will..im jsut exploring my options. im new to the supra sceen.. bear with me now folks:icon_razz and if i decide to sell the VPC ill sell it here. thanks for the info guys...appreciate it!!

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
sharpsupra;1782240 said:
oh i will..im jsut exploring my options. im new to the supra sceen.. bear with me now folks:icon_razz and if i decide to sell the VPC ill sell it here. thanks for the info guys...appreciate it!!

No worries ;)

It's an option to swap in the lexus afm but I haven't ever heard of anyone swapping OUT a VPC for the AFM, its considered an upgrade to go the other way.

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
well the PO stuffed all the HKS piggyback stuff in the glovebox....so yu can imagine the freakin gob of wires:yikes: and today i was poking around in there with the engine running and it started running crappy on me....so i think i have a bad connection in there somewhere i rekon...gonna be fun tryin ta find THAT!! :nono: