Lex and 550s Questions ??

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
From what I understand running the Lex afm and 550s trick the stock ecu into using 25% more air and fuel and it will make some adjustments to air/fuel ratios as it ?learns? how the car is running at throttle positions and under different loads . I know it's adjustments will not be as precise as running an aftermarket air fuel computer. The questions I have about this setup are:

1. Does this setup also move fuel cut up 25% allowing roughly 16+/- Lbs of boost?

2. To tune this setup you need to use a wideband and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. You watch to see if you are running more on the rich side you cut fuel pressure and if you are lean you increase. Is this correct?

3. Is there any thing I need to do to adjust for a smooth idle or will the ecu handle this

And I know that this is not on the same subject but how much of the sound do you loose when you recirculate the HKS SSQV? Could you run it with Bosch recirculator valve and vent part of the air and recirculate the rest or is going to speed density the only way. Looking for the best of both worlds, a car with 12-15 lbs boost that can sound off when you want it to but wont die on you and leave you looking like an idiot. I know there more advantages to running speed density but for me I cant spend the $$$ just for the PSSSSSST at the red lights

If any thing I have said is wrong Please point it out

I bought this car with a bhg and I have never driven it the motor is in the shop for a full rebuild. and I just want to get the entire setup nailed down and running before winter hits.

Current set-up
.020 / .5 mil over nippon pistons
shot peen rods
arp rod bolts
arp head studs
arp flywheel bolts
clevite rod and main bearings coated
Line hone
rods and mains back on the tight side of factory spec.
rods and pistons balanced to 1 gram
6m crank balanced and polished
new Toyota flywheel and pressure plate / balanced
block and head lapped for MHG
3 angle valve job
comp cams 975 springs
gasket match intake side left exhaust alone
titan 3in downpipe custom 3in exhaust
hks turbo timer
ct26, 57 trim fresh rebuild
new Toyota oil pump,

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
Thanks for the quick reply Jdub
I just want to double check everything I have read. Just to make sure my brain is on the right track before I spend all my money on a shiny red grenade just because I F@*!ed something up.
1st time owning a supra and first time building a car that did not have 400+ cubic inches and a carb. This site has been a great help

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
Might want to look into a MKIV tt or a walbro.
Don't want to risk your new rebuild on not supplying it enough fuel.

You will be fine, as is, if you are planning on stock boost but with your 57 trim and 3" exhaust you going to be a little above stock boost. And I know it's going to be really tempting to throw a boost controller on there, cause it's so easy to do. Just remember to supply fuel.

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
Walbro and fuel pressure Regulator in the works still have not made up my mind on the boost controller thing yet Manual vs electronic.

Do any boost controllers have a timer built in that are affordable.
looking for advice? I know that Greedy HKS and Apexi are Quality equipment any others I should look at that cost less Or is a manual and the HKS timer the easy way to get a fast spool and steady 15 lbs. without other problems.

Any body have any ideas on the BOV questions from 1st post?

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
Ha, I just happen to be doing that.
I have the Bosch but it was not enough to vent 12psi and I was getting compressor surge. I added a Greddy bov -

vbpgimage.php

don't mind the dirty engine.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^ no, the issue is the air that is being vented is metered, The ecu thinks its still there and its not = RICH>