Let's talk about the good old ACIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
So, from what I recall, the ACIS limits the amount of air that is let through so the 7MGE can maintain low end torque. If the ACIS were to be disabled, would there be any way to take advantage of that extra air thats going through? (IE: What modifications could you do?)

I have a few guesses, but I'm pretty sure I'll get butchered for making this thread :)

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
from what i have heard, ACIS combinds a short runner and a long runner, and opens it up under certain conditions(Throttle possition and rpm), and is activated by vaccum. it has been tried and proven that when closed all the time, you loose top end and when open all the time, you loose bottom end. the way it is now is the best way for it to be.

edit 300th post YAY

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
After i researched this for a while when i was NA, i learned from several that toyota designers spent hundreds of hours working on this system (guess) and i doubt your gonna be able to find a better soulution in a few minutes!

IE: Its best left the way it is!

corylee316

until it goes boom
Aug 17, 2006
Moscow, IA
There have been people who have tried to leave it open all the time manually and what not with no gains. If you are keeping things stock up top you might as well not change the ACIS.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
i have no cat, and pretty much a straight through system. Before my rebuild my ACIS wasnt plugged in, the wire was busted. When I hit 3500 rpms the car felt like it boosted 2 or 3 psi and lauchned HARDER, Im not kidding and I dont know why. Now that ACIS is plugged back in its a straight through powerband, I dont know if I had less low end as well, didnt pay attention.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
HellsLegion said:
I still Own an NA =P

Any motor will coem alive at 3500 RPM.

The ACIS is really just there to smooth the torque band in higher RPMs.

yeah but are u really enjoying that NA anymore? lol

yeah I guess you could say it smooths it, my car kicked at 3500 without it, I kinda liked it....

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I can't feel mine KICK in... I know it's working there is a difference, but it's not harsh like most owners report.

corylee316

until it goes boom
Aug 17, 2006
Moscow, IA
At about 3800-4000 I get a little push, no kick. I had read in the TSRM that it was supposed to be around that range depending on the TP. I didn't read in the TSRM about it "kicking" anything.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Maybe this will help. I don't have one on my car but this is what the tech manuals say:

The ACIS is designed to shift the torque band higher along the rpm range. It does this by responding to changes in the throttle opening angle (VTA signal of the TPS) and engine rpm (NE signal in the CPS). The air control valve is then opened or closed by the ECU via a VSV and vacuum actuator.

The valve is located in the center of the manifold and when closed divides it into two sections - a front chamber for cylinders 1 to 3 and a rear chamber for cylinders 4 to 6. A closed ACIS valve has the same effect as lengthening the intake manifold while an open valve has the same effect as shortening the intake manifold. In other words flow efficiency what's being controlled.

When the ECU turns on the VSV vacuum is applied to the actuator and closes the valve. When the VSV is turned off atmospheric pressure is applied to the actuator and opens the valve. There are four combinations of speed and throttle angle the ECU uses to decide when to open or close the ACIS:

1) Above 60% throttle angle and above 4,200 rpm: VSV off, ACIS open.

2) Above 60% throttle angle and below 4,200 rpm: VSV on, ACIS closed.

3) Below 60% throttle angle and above 4,200 rpm: VSV on, ACIS closed.

4) Below 60% throttle angle and below 4,200 rpm: VSV off, ACIS open.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Um, its NA with or without acis we are slow!!!! I got to go with dont fix it if it aint broke..............:icon_razz

Status
Not open for further replies.