Left scratching my head

itsDELUXson

Jan 2, 2013
Ventura County
plus.google.com
I have run into a few problems with my car recently that I can't seem to figure out.

A little background on the car. I bought it last December with a blown head gasket. Replaced it with an HKS metal gasket and got everything running once the rainy season ceased and had it running for a while then I started having problems. The first problem arose from a crappy air filter cone that was on the car getting the metal ring in the center getting sucked into the AFM housing and damaging it. I fixed this issue and the car worked for a couple days then while pulling up to a light, it completely dies. Have it towed home and find on a close inspection that my wiring harness is shot. Remove it from the car and go through and repair some stuff. Mind you before I removed the harness, everything in the car worked and there were no codes etc. So after repairing various pieces of the harness, I put it back in the car and start it up. It is running fine and idling nice, I rev it a couple times and everything seems fine. Rev it a little harder so that the blow off valve goes off to make sure I put it back on the correct way and the check engine light comes on. My temperature gauge is now pinned past the red. I am showing I have code 14 and 52. I drive the car around the block and everything seems to be working fine enough to drive. Turn the car off for a while then run it again and there's no codes again. Start to drive and as it gets close to 2,000RPM the engine light comes on. Take the car on a 30 mile drive one way and everything appears to be fine except the CEL is on. Park the car for the rest of the day and do the same thing again the following day with no issues. Fast forward a week; i'm driving the car again and keeping the rpms low. I go to give it a little gas and it starts to sputter and it is hesitating to move. Turn the car around and head for home and it has now gotten worse. (Also when I would stop at a light the would be a cloud of white/gray smoke for a few seconds. Get it home and let it idle and nothing is coming out of the exhaust now). Every time I step on the gas it bogs down and I am clearly pushing the pedal down but nothing is happening at all. Limp it home and park it. Cannot see any signs of anything being wrong except one of the plugs on the center ignition coil is broken. I picked up some new coils and just replaced the one that was damaged. I drove the car yesterday after replacing the one coil and everything appears fine when I start it up. Idles fine and then I rev it up and the CEL comes on again. I drive to the end of my street and on the way back the car completely dies while driving. I pull over and have to wait about 10 minutes before it starts up again and I can make it back to my house. I have no idea what's going on and I was hoping someone here could help point me in the right direction. The car isn't my daily so I can take it apart and investigate things if necessary. Just need some guidance in the right direction.

Thank you in advance

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, a code 14 is the ignition system. Probably the broken coil.

Code 52 will mess with things. That's the knock sensor signal. Mind you if you've got a severe enough ignition system malfunction, what I understand is that the ECU listens through the knock sensors for ignition events, and if it does not hear them, it sets code 52. If there is another reason for the ignition event to be missing, it is conceivable that the ECU could set the code because it did not hear it.

Check codes again, see if there are more/different ones.

And just a thought... Check for possible boost leaks.

Mikael_7m

Built 7M
Apr 26, 2009
Australia
itsDELUXson;1961201 said:
I have run into a few problems with my car recently that I can't seem to figure out.

A little background on the car. I bought it last December with a blown head gasket. Replaced it with an HKS metal gasket and got everything running once the rainy season ceased and had it running for a while then I started having problems. The first problem arose from a crappy air filter cone that was on the car getting the metal ring in the center getting sucked into the AFM housing and damaging it. I fixed this issue and the car worked for a couple days then while pulling up to a light, it completely dies. Have it towed home and find on a close inspection that my wiring harness is shot. Remove it from the car and go through and repair some stuff. Mind you before I removed the harness, everything in the car worked and there were no codes etc. So after repairing various pieces of the harness, I put it back in the car and start it up. It is running fine and idling nice, I rev it a couple times and everything seems fine. Rev it a little harder so that the blow off valve goes off to make sure I put it back on the correct way and the check engine light comes on. My temperature gauge is now pinned past the red. I am showing I have code 14 and 52. I drive the car around the block and everything seems to be working fine enough to drive. Turn the car off for a while then run it again and there's no codes again. Start to drive and as it gets close to 2,000RPM the engine light comes on. Take the car on a 30 mile drive one way and everything appears to be fine except the CEL is on. Park the car for the rest of the day and do the same thing again the following day with no issues. Fast forward a week; i'm driving the car again and keeping the rpms low. I go to give it a little gas and it starts to sputter and it is hesitating to move. Turn the car around and head for home and it has now gotten worse. (Also when I would stop at a light the would be a cloud of white/gray smoke for a few seconds. Get it home and let it idle and nothing is coming out of the exhaust now). Every time I step on the gas it bogs down and I am clearly pushing the pedal down but nothing is happening at all. Limp it home and park it. Cannot see any signs of anything being wrong except one of the plugs on the center ignition coil is broken. I picked up some new coils and just replaced the one that was damaged. I drove the car yesterday after replacing the one coil and everything appears fine when I start it up. Idles fine and then I rev it up and the CEL comes on again. I drive to the end of my street and on the way back the car completely dies while driving. I pull over and have to wait about 10 minutes before it starts up again and I can make it back to my house. I have no idea what's going on and I was hoping someone here could help point me in the right direction. The car isn't my daily so I can take it apart and investigate things if necessary. Just need some guidance in the right direction.

Thank you in advance

To make it easier for others to read just break up your text a little. My eyes are in pain :)

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
CPS and knock sensors check the the wires make sure they are intact if you have overheated again then you have a BHG

a few notes about the 7m you NEED to have the head and the block decked before using a MHG or it WILL pop there is no exception to this rule.
at this point you need to park the car put the tools down and start reading any and all information about the 7mgte

sorry buddy