Leaving Supras

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
After 8 years I have decided to sell or part out my Supra. My Supra is driveable and very close to a condition where I would feel comfortable driving it daily. The car is an ongoing project however, so there are a good number of little things I would have wanted to finish/tweak. I just will not have the time or money in the next couple years to get my Supra to a point where I am really happy with it.

So, without turning this in to a for sale thread... Is there any interest in my Supra as a whole? Unless I can get over 5k for the car as a whole I will likely part it out. There is a link to my build thread in my signature for those that do not know my car.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
figgie;1603024 said:
Did you finish the V8 conversion?

Yeah, the conversion is done. I actually drove it from Burnsville, MN up to Grand Forks, ND over a year ago. The interior and exterior are not quite sorted the way I want though.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
try to sell it whole please. Supras are not Hondas. You wont see any supras for sale in the corner grocery parking lot. You may not get all your money out of the v8 swap. too many kids are buying supras then spending money on them then parting out good cars. these cars now are getting very rare. parting then sending to the junk yard is making finding any supra difficult. yes you would get more money on part out but try to keep the car on the road and sell to someone who wants a whole car. the only ones i see for sale are rat traps or some dumass 1jz swap they want $8000 or $10,000 for and you get a 2.5 ltre. WHY?

how many times do we see the FS post

"Found a Mint Supra so parting it out"

that really pisses me off.

attached a production count by year pic.

Attachments

• supra MK3 product&.GIF
    supra MK3 product&.GIF
    56.9 KB · Views: 48

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Halsupramk3;1603348 said:
try to sell it whole please. Supras are not Hondas. You wont see any supras for sale in the corner grocery parking lot. You may not get all your money out of the v8 swap. too many kids are buying supras then spending money on them then parting out good cars. these cars now are getting very rare. parting then sending to the junk yard is making finding any supra difficult. yes you would get more money on part out but try to keep the car on the road and sell to someone who wants a whole car. the only ones i see for sale are rat traps or some dumass 1jz swap they want $8000 or $10,000 for and you get a 2.5 ltre. WHY?

Selling my Supra complete may not only yield less money for me, but may be very difficult. Shipping parts while parting a car out is pretty easy. In order for me to sell the Supra whole, I will most likely need to find someone atleast relatively local to buy it and that will be quite hard. From the way it sounds, maybe you would like to buy it?

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
parting out will get more money and selling whole may take more time but if you have a good interior and decent exterior a car in that condition is getting harder to find. it just seems like we spend a lot of money on parts to restore a car and we are getting the parts from better quality cars.

i just bought a 89T with no engine for a 1uz swap. decent interior and no dents but some bondo. paint is faded. and i just bought another 90T auto with bhg and some rust under the car. dash is in good shape. i could easily make money parting out but will rebuild the 7M and sell locally. I think i could get more money for it running selling in the paper than here for a running car.

send me some pics of yours. do you have any of the 7m engine left?

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Halsupramk3;1603783 said:
parting out will get more money and selling whole may take more time but if you have a good interior and decent exterior a car in that condition is getting harder to find. it just seems like we spend a lot of money on parts to restore a car and we are getting the parts from better quality cars.

i just bought a 89T with no engine for a 1uz swap. decent interior and no dents but some bondo. paint is faded. and i just bought another 90T auto with bhg and some rust under the car. dash is in good shape. i could easily make money parting out but will rebuild the 7M and sell locally. I think i could get more money for it running selling in the paper than here for a running car.

send me some pics of yours. do you have any of the 7m engine left?

I need to spend a little time cleaning up my Supra and my garage before I can really take any useful pictures. I do however have many pictures in the link in my signature. The body definitly needs work, but it is by no means rotted out. I do not have any 7M parts anymore.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Man... I gotta say, this kinda makes me a bit sad. I'm in no position to pick up another Supra any time soon, I'm not even done with either of the current ones yet. I also vote on trying to keep the car whole, you've put too much time into it to tear it all apart again...

5k+ really shouldn't be all that hard to muster up interest for, but if there's any significant body work needed done, you might run into a snag there, as it seems most Supra owners (myself included) aren't really fans of body work...

ABNPayne

Jul 18, 2010
Macon, GA
Halsupramk3;1603348 said:

I agree, at least it's one of 29k ;)

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Yet another person that will come up to me and say "I used to have one of those"!

Sorry that you are bailing, but I do understand....