lean under part throttle boost?

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Under part thottle boost, my AEM wideband will read around 15.5 for a second or two until it drops down to around 12.5. I'm a little worried about it starting out so lean under boost. AFR bounces around from 14.5-15.5 during cruising and around 10.5 at full throttle. Any ideas?

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I had the same issue and used the maft-pro to tune around it.
What I think is happening (at least in my case) is that since it's only part-throttle the TCCS doesn't really expect boost and tries to hold it at 14.7ish as usual. Since flow is increased by the more open exhaust you're turbo is spooling earlier than it would when completely stock and the TCCS can't keep up or doesn't realize that you're in boost at only half-throttle or so.
At least that's what was causing the part-throttle/part-boost leanness in my case...

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
That's exactly what I was thinking. But is the lean spot dangerous? Will it detonate under part throttle?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's not. The VSV can block the flow.

While I can't find enough info to confirm that's how it functions. The TSRM only shows how to test the system, not exactly how it operates under ECU control outside of referances in the TEWD as to what sensors are used by the ECU to determine what it should do with the VSV.

If it didn't take AFM and TPS into account, I could see it functioning as a dumb system based entirely off of temperature and the EGR vacuum port in the TB.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
All the VSV can do is vent the line between the throttle body and the modulator to prevent EGR operation, at least that's how I thought it worked. Looking at the TSRM it looks like I am wrong though, what I am describing is more like the way the NA works.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Just saying how it could work, not how it actually does work :)

3P would have to do some digging in the ECU code to tell us what it's really doing.