Leaking power steering gear housing and oil pan

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
I have an 89 turbo 5speed. I am currently losing power steering fluid and it looks like it is leaking right at the gear housing where the intermediate shaft connects. My oil pan also appears to be leaking. First I was wondering if it is possible to replace the oil pan gasket without pulling the motor or dropping the front suspension(like the tsrm says). I was under the car and it looks like I can get to all of the oil pan bolts and would need to remove the front suspension crossmember and pull the oil pan through. 2nd I assume if the gear housing is leaking it would have to be rebuilt. I saw someone on the forum was selling a rebuilt steering rack and may purchase that. If I have to install a new steering rack I would think this would allow me to get to the oil pan and kill 2 birds with one stone. Any input on both issues would be great.

Thanks,
Tim

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
you'll have to either drop the sub frame or pull the motor. its not that bad of a job to pull the front sub frame, a lot easier than i though. i just had to replace my oil pan/gasket as well.

i would install the new rack and oil pan gasket at the same time

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Steering rack is not really in the way for the oil pan but it will be more room. You will have to lift the engine up a little and lower the subframe some and then it will squeeze out. Use toyota fipg or 3m 3bond. Do not use a cork gasket.

You can replace the rack or try and find somewhere to rebuild it. Either will work. Just make sure that if your car is pps use a pps rack and if not don't.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
hvyman;1997905 said:
Steering rack is not really in the way for the oil pan but it will be more room. You will have to lift the engine up a little and lower the subframe some and then it will squeeze out. Use toyota fipg or 3m 3bond. Do not use a cork gasket.

I did read about lifting the motor in the TSRM when replacing the pan.......I do not have an engine hoist.....is this absolutely necessary?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If your drop the subframe no it's not nesseccary.

If you lift the engine up a little and lower the subframe a little it will slide out. Can put a jack and some wood on the crank just don't jack the shit out of it.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Is it possible to just take all the oil pan bolts off and just squirt the fipg all up on there? Haha by no means is this a proper fix but jey of ot stops ur leak no harm no foul.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Your oil pan gasket may not be leaking. I thought mine was when I got the car, but it was just a bunch of smaller leaks running down to the bottom of the engine, which is the oil pan. My high pressure power steering line was leaking, along with the valve covers. You just want to make sure before you start lifting the engine or dropping the subframe.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
7M4EVR;1997928 said:
Is it possible to just take all the oil pan bolts off and just squirt the fipg all up on there? Haha by no means is this a proper fix but jey of ot stops ur leak no harm no foul.

You will likely have a larger leak Than before if you try this. Both surfaces needs to be clean before applying fipg.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
racks for our cars are neither cheap nor easy to get. luckily seal kit is readily available and relatively cheap so i highly recommend rebuilding it :) i tell everyone that just remember what caused it to leak needs to be taken care of as well so be sure to replace or flush your lines, you can buy a can of it at any parts stores it has a hose and is called transmission / oil cooler line flush. at the same time i would rebuild the p/s pump or just buy a reman as well to take care of the possibility of contaminates in there going right back to the rack, they also make power steering filters you use on your low pressure return line id recommend as well to further protect it they run around 18 - 28$ locally available.

a cork gasket will work but i agree to use either the toyota stuff or victor reinz jv8 ($6) i usually use a red scotchbright($1.47) to get the old crap off.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Yea my oil pan also has a dent in the bottom of it that was there from the previous owner so I should remove and replace the pan anyways. I am losing power steering fluid and I am pretty certain it is coming from steering rack. The high pressure line at the pump looks dry unless its leaking where it connects to the gear housing but i dont believe its the case. It looks like its coming right outta the bottom of the gear housing knuckle.

Also, this morning before work I got under the car to check if I have PPS and i saw the small unit mounted to the gear housing with two wires and I traced it back to see where it goes and it's unplugged......the end of the plug is a white oval and I assume its for the PPS. Not sure where it plugs into but I would assume it goes back up toward the battery. I can look more into it tonight and post a pick if no one is sure its for the PPS

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya thats a pps rack. Should have a plug around the c1 connecter Its comes out of the engine harness.

It could be leaking from the high pressure hose and spraying towards the rack. High pressure hoses areusually more common than that top seal on teh rack

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
hvyman;1998006 said:
Ya thats a pps rack. Should have a plug around the c1 connecter Its comes out of the engine harness.

It could be leaking from the high pressure hose and spraying towards the rack. High pressure hoses areusually more common than that top seal on teh rack

Thanks again for the responses.....I'll double check the connector tonight and see if I can find the other end of the plug. I will also double check the high pressure hose at the rack

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
I found that my progessive power steering plug was unplugged and was able to connect it back up. It has probably been disconnected since the previous owner installed the JDM motor. I checked the top of the power steering rack where the high pressure hoses connect and they do not appear to be leaking at all. I will have to source a rebuilt rack and install a new one.

Also, my power steering hose that comes out of the bottom of the power steering tank is leaking where it connects to the pump. A few years back I purchased a new hose from the dealer and cranked a clamp down on it pretty well but still seems to leak. Is there another alternative anyone uses to prevent theses from leaking? I saw driftmotion has a new power steering tank for sale made by Beech Performance which has fittings for the hoses.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
I am looking at buying a rebuilt rack and pinion off a member on here.....does anyone know if they differ between years before I buy it? I have an 89 turbo 5 speed with PPS. The one I am buying also has with PPS.