Leaking Clutch Fluid / Trouble Starting Car

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
So I've got a 90 N/A 5spd and I'm leaking clutch fluid in small amounts. The thing is that the clutch fluid leaks into where the clutch pedal is and basically it's getting on my left shoe. I'm sure it's either the master or slave cylinder but which one is it?

Second thing is that I've been having trouble starting my car now. Basically the car won't start. It's like the clutch pedal isn't being pressed far enough and the car won't crank. I really have to push on the pedal to get the car to start. I'm guessing this problem is somehow related to the leaking clutch fluid.

Someone help me!!

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
I would replace both at the same time, once one goes out the other is soon to follow. Also make sure you set the pedal freeplay. Like mk3 for life said it could cause the neutral switch to malfunction. I would just replace those things, set pedal freeplay/travel, clean everything up real well and take it from there.

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
mmm......how much does both the master and slave cylinders go for? I just asked for a price quote from champion toyota and waiting on them, but any heads up from you guys?

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
For the clutch start switch, could I just cut the wires and tape them together so that I dont have to press the clutch pedal to start the car? Obviously, I'd have the car in neutral and most likely i'll push the clutch down out of habit. But the car is not starting and I believe it is the clutch start switch is faulty because clutch fluid has leaked onto it. Can someone help me out here?

BTW, I'm waiting on a new master cylinder so I can replace the one I have now. But I have a problem with taking out the hard clutch line coming into the master clutch cylinder, how do I take that off without ruining the nut? Second problem is the slave cylinder, I can't seem to take off the line running the clutch fluid into the slave cylinder. It's a big ole 18mm nut and there's not enough space to put in a big enough wrench, and because of the line coming in, I have to use an open-ended wrench. What can I use to take that nut off?

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
Awesome, nothing wrong will happen though after that? Like when the car is running? Because I think my car isn't starting only because of the switch, everything else is fine. Stupid switch.

Off topic: Did you replace the twins on your 1jz yet kyle?

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
Oooook so it didn't work. I cut the wires and taped them together so I can start the car without pushing the clutch. However, I hear a click and that's it, and a whirring noise after that. A very quiet whirring noise. All i hear is a click and no cranking, so what is the problem now?

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
The battery is fine. It's almost a new battery, plus the car has only been down for 5 days now. The other times it would start up after a few turns of the key and pushing of the clutch. What does it mean when I hear something click but not crank when I turn the key?