LC4 top end lubrication.

daught

Oct 5, 2007
Oakville
Hey guys. My question is not supra related, however this forum has the best oil experts I have ever seen. I would really appreciate your help regarding LC4 KTMs. The LC4 KTMs camshaft and rockers use needle roller bearings. The rockers rollers are notorious for seizing and eating the camshaft. The problem is most likely caused by improper lubrication. The top ends lubrication is provided by oil brought up by the timing chain. Nothing else. Can I do anything to improve the life of those bearings?

Here is the camshaft and the rockers

I wonder if dry film lubricants are any good. A local shop offers:

DRY FILM LUBRICANTS
Dry film lubricants, also known as solid film lubricants is a moly-based coating that is impregnated, and baked into the component. DFL coatings provide a layer of lubricating film that greatly reduces friction, protects against galling and seizing, and is designed to retain oil on the surface during extreme heat and pressure. Moly-based dfl has an extremely low coefficient of friction, and can carry loads up to 350,000 psi. An added benefit of DFL is the reduction of surface heat due to the reduction of friction. DFL coatings can be applied to any metal part that is subject to wear and friction, such as, piston skirts, bearings, wrist pins, valve train components, camshafts, lifters, transmission, and rear end gears.

Last edited: