koni vs. bilstein....

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I have Koni Yellows with B+G for 4 years now and no problems. I can't compare with Bilstein just because i never used them, but i'm happy with Koni, very good product.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
They're both very good, it depends on what you're going for.

I like the Bilsteins because they're valved so they can handle decent spring rates and be comfortable. And there are options of revalving them down the road if you want to run stiffer springs.

Konis are adjustable which can be nice. You can also run a variety of springs on these and they will handle well. They will ride a little rougher than the Bilsteins, but it's still not really harsh like a lot of cheap coilover setups. And these can also be revalved.

So it really comes down to if you'll mind a slightly harsher ride with Konis. And if you wan the adjustability they offer.

Tim

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
how about those two compared to the tokico illumina? i was thinking of getting a set of those, and they are TEMS compatiable... so thats a big + for me. what are your thoughts and feelings wiisass?

improved

Running!
Apr 4, 2005
California
Wiisass,

What are the Bilsteins current valving? I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere, but what available spring best compliments the MK3 Bilstein shock?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Rennat;1013795 said:
how about those two compared to the tokico illumina? i was thinking of getting a set of those, and they are TEMS compatiable... so thats a big + for me. what are your thoughts and feelings wiisass?

*2. Im in the market for a new suspension ASAP!

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Rennat;1013795 said:

If TEMS compatibility is important to you, then you really only have one choice. But if it's not, then I would pick Koni or Bilstein over Tokico. The Bilsteins will probably ride better than the Konis, but the Konis should be able to handle higher spring rates properly. The Bilsteins can also handle higher spring rates, but the range is greater with the Konis due to their adjustability.

suprace;1034204 said:
i got koni's....its not worth the money. i think tokico blues are even better. i was expecting a lot better.

I would appreciate it if you would post a little more than that. Maybe what's better or what you didn't like or what you were expecting?

improved;1034354 said:
Wiisass,

What are the Bilsteins current valving? I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere, but what available spring best compliments the MK3 Bilstein shock?

You can't just compare valving and springs without knowing the weight of each corner. That plays a huge part in what type of valving is needed. The data I have on the Bilsteins show that their valving can handle a decent range of spring rates. But exactly what rates they will work best with will depend on the weight of the car.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
here's my input for koni+stock 89+ springs
Ride is absolutely perfect with koni's set at the hardest. You get great road feel, but still ride comfortably and not too harsh.
Though I cant comment nor compare with Bilstein's.

ecko

Feb 18, 2008
Tasmania
I have just put koni yellows in mine only got the fronts in and with the springs that came woth the car.. Kings springs.. I have gained ride height tho for some reason... other that that ride is nice and stiff but comfortable..