Known Hydro-fan problems

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
What are some of the known problems with the hydro-fan on the 1jz. I am trying to decide to fix my leak with a o-ring or just go with my flex-a-lite fans from my previous car. Does any body have a diagram of the assembly or part numbers.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
The problem with the hydrofan is the hydrofan. A mechanical fan was perfectly fine but no Toyota wanted hoses that can leak, sensors that can go bad, and fluid to cool it. It's a big waste of weight imo.

SupraStardom

Nov 11, 2006
Council Bluffs, IA
....I...like...my hydrofan....:ban:

I bought a clip and used it with my 1j swap and it runs fine. works good. lots of air is moved even at idle just after start. The car has never overheated even in hot, muggy midwest summer. So i dont see a downside.

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
SupraStardom;1419385 said:
....I...like...my hydrofan....:ban:

I bought a clip and used it with my 1j swap and it runs fine. works good. lots of air is moved even at idle just after start. The car has never overheated even in hot, muggy midwest summer. So i dont see a downside.

It works great and moves a lot of air but the hoses and o-rings are problematic when they leak and cuase your fan not to work. I am just asking opinions about what people have experianced with these fans.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
7Mboost;1419212 said:
The problem with the hydrofan is the hydrofan. A mechanical fan was perfectly fine but no Toyota wanted hoses that can leak, sensors that can go bad, and fluid to cool it. It's a big waste of weight imo.

Not much else will fit in the tiny engine bay of the mkiii and provide the flow needed.

A few local buddys have never had an issues with the hydrofans.

zoppii

Pro Lurker
May 21, 2007
Palm Harbor
+1 for the hydrofan. I've had it for two year without and issue. DM sells a SS hose you might want to get for the pressure line. I've always thought about buying it if mine ever leaks but I haven't has a drop leak so far.

The only down side I can see is if you get on a dusty road even parked your gonna create a small tornado but it's a good problem to have. I can always just wash my car.

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
tissimo;1419464 said:
Not much else will fit in the tiny engine bay of the mkiii and provide the flow needed.

A few local buddys have never had an issues with the hydrofans.

I didn't have a problem with it until I blew off an ic pipe pushing one of the lines into the fan and cutting it in half. Then I took it off with the bolt that connect to the assembly and the o-ring I put in there wasn't the right one and put the the old one in and it started to leak again. I am asking if anybody has a diagram that shows part numbers of it.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Toyota Camry v6s and ES300s as well as SC400s (and LS400s?) use hydrofans. Checkw ith the dealer they'll probably be able to help you out.

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
tissimo;1420329 said:
Toyota Camry v6s and ES300s as well as SC400s (and LS400s?) use hydrofans. Checkw ith the dealer they'll probably be able to help you out.

I got it so it doesn't leak. works great

SupraStardom;1420244 said:
Yea Id rock the SS hose from DM if your wanting to replace that line. SS hose is smex over stock. Looks good and saves the lives of puppies.

They sell the one that I don't need, the lower one was leaking.

SupraStardom

Nov 11, 2006
Council Bluffs, IA
The return one with the nipple that has the hose clamp on it? You can just go to advanced auto and get a new line to replace that. If it damaged your nipple part then I'm not sure on the replacement for that. I think if i remember right there is a camry or something that uses hydrofan setup that you can get easily enough from a junkyard and use on your hydrofan.

Last edited:

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
SupraStardom;1420346 said:
The return one with the nipple that has the hose clamp on it? You can just go to advanced auto and get a new line to replace that. If it damaged your nipple part then I'm not sure on the replacement for that. I think if i remember right there is a camry or something that uses hydrofan setup that you can get easily enough from a junkyard and use on your hydrofan.

I couldn't get the hose off of the nipple when it was in the car and just took the nipple off of the fan. The o-ring ended up leaking until I reused the old o-ring (glad I kept it) with some grease and it didn't leak.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Hydrofan ftw. It flows so much better than the mechanical or the FAL fans. My temp gauge gets up to about 1/4 of the way up and never moves, no matter what. 100+ degrees outside, boosting, then using AC, the gauge wont budge past 1/4. I had a leak when I first got the fan, was as simple as bending a tab and getting a new o-ring (which you can get anywhere) I don't see a reason not to run one! Been about 1.5 years now with no issues.