knocking stops when I pull the plugs?

dorachagi

Oct 27, 2006
Memphis, TN
I have a suspected rod knock, and when pulling the plugs with the engine running the noise stops when cylinders 3 and 4 aren't firing. Is this definitely rod knock, or could it be something else? Should I bother getting it diagnosed at a shop or is it done for? Also, the fresh oil I refilled it with after it ran almost dry (the cause of the problem) is already very black and the engine has only been started 3 times since the oil went in. Am I screwed?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
dorachagi said:
I have a suspected rod knock, and when pulling the plugs with the engine running the noise stops when cylinders 3 and 4 aren't firing. Is this definitely rod knock, or could it be something else? Should I bother getting it diagnosed at a shop or is it done for? Also, the fresh oil I refilled it with after it ran almost dry (the cause of the problem) is already very black and the engine has only been started 3 times since the oil went in. Am I screwed?

Read this:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20486

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
ROD KNOCK the two worst words that an mk3 owner wants to hear. It has happened to me and will definitely ruin your day:3d_frown: Thank goodness for DRIFTMOTION because they saved my life !!!:icon_bigg :icon_bigg

Last edited: