Killing The Myth: ATF vs PS Fluid

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
jdmfreak;1920460 said:
Care to elaborate? I thought that this was the whole reason we have this "myth"....
But I have a suspicion you know more than you are sharing :p

Simple, some petroleum based products are used as beauty products and others will downright kill you. Being petroleum based doesn't mean much.

Redline may be an exeption, but from what I've seen in other places, the base stocks are usually different in the two fluids, and that's just for starters.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Interesting thread guys. I've never had a Supra that didn't have a leaky steering system, but I suspect that's due to a lack of maintenance by my part (or any other previous owner), so I never gave it much thought.

Might be worth noting, I've used PS fluid in my system, and likely on my other Supras as well. Can anyone say that they've only used one fluid or the other, and their results in regards to leaks?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I know one of mine only had ATF in it, and it leaked like hell... (fluid probably saw almost twice the use it should have) the one I have now has PS fluid in it... it does not leak, however, the PS doesn't work very well :-/ work in progress....

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I've used new hoses since I rebuilt the engine and used PS fluid, the writing on the PS cap is worn off. Mine has leaked from day one, even with moving the hose and reclamping.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
jetjock;1921444 said:
Interesting thread that contains some good observations. Congrats to the OP for making the effort. That said my comment applies only to older vehicles.

Duck!!! Incoming monkey wrench!!!

Lol so what is it about newer vehicles that makes it matter? Tighter clearances?

Oh and my buddy drove my supra the other day... (has atf) he was very impressed and kept commenting with how my power steering worked soo well (he uses psf) that being said these are 23+ year old pumps...

TurboJoe

Feb 21, 2009
Springfield, MO
So which fluid is best suited for our cars? I read Dexron III is bad, VI isn't viscous enough, and so on. What is the official, current day fluid for an auto mk3?

Sorry for the noob question, I just want to make sure..

Thanks!

Joe

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
OfnaRcR4;1919972 said:
I'm wondering why some people have gotten noise with PS fluid?

And this should answer the question about Toyota telling you to put Dexron in the PS system.

Insidious Surmiser;1975901 said:
ATF fluid. This thread is about power steering.... not sure how "auto" is playing into your inquiry.

Because ATF is AUTOmatic transmission fluid.

So, what is the myth?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
This thread was concluded some time ago...

The myth was that PS fluid and ATF are both fine to use for the same purpose. While both may work, one is better.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Insidious Surmiser;1980115 said:
The myth was that PS fluid and ATF are both fine to use for the same purpose.

Who claimed that and where? And auto is because of ATF being automatic trans fluid. Get it yet?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
TurboJoe;1975851 said:
So which fluid is best suited for our cars? I read Dexron III is bad, VI isn't viscous enough, and so on. What is the official, current day fluid for an auto mk3?

Sorry for the noob question, I just want to make sure..

Thanks!

Joe

Nick this is the comment that was referred to "for an auto mk3"

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Nick M;1980179 said:
Who claimed that and where? And auto is because of ATF being automatic trans fluid. Get it yet?
Lots of people have made that claim. Lost of places. I understood you the first time, still don't get it. What do transmissions have to do with the power-steering system?