JZ Engine Swap Costs Estimates and differences!

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
I'm looking to get a JZ series motor in my late 1989 Which currently has a 1990 turbo w58. I'm trying to compare the costs between the USDM 2jz, JDM 2jz, JDM Aristo VVTi 2jz, JZA70 1jz, Soarer VVTI 1jz. I'd prefer VVTi for low end as it's going to be a daily. I'd much prefer to go with an auto, although my w58 could work behind the 1jz. Basically going to be stock engine ATM. I sent a mail to Tweak at pheonix tuning on wiring costs. All these engines including all wiring harness and ECU.
(Also all JDM 2jzgte 93-97 non vvti have front or rear sump?)

What I've found so far:

JDM 2jzgte non-vvti with auto - 2700$
Front Sump Conversion?
Brackets - 150
Wiring - ?

JDM 2jzgte VVti with auto - 1700$ (Most preferred.)
Sump Conversion - 600
Wiring - ?

JDM Soarer 1jzgte VVti with auto - 1250$
Sump Conversion - 600
Wiring - ?

Any suggestions would appreciated, I'm just trying to figure what costs would be different between them other than just the engine costs. Such as things being swapped. I'm not sure on what works with the auto from the Aristo. Will it mount up to my car with oem mount? Does the tail need to be changed to a mechanical speed? I've been reading you need the 1jzgte auto for our car. I would much prefer the 2j because as heavy as this car is I'd hate to go even smaller displacement, I enjoy low end torque, I suppose the VVti will be a help however.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
2JZ-GE with variable cam timing, then turbocharge it. If you are hell-bent on spending thousands on a core and swap parts upfront. Which it seems you are.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Is there a good writeup on that anywhere? I'm looking now for the 2jzge-t swap info :)

Is there a way to keep vvti? Seems everyone is running the engine from the 7mgte electronics, which I'm assuming can't run the vvti unless it's purely mechanical?

Last edited:

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
those engines should come with an ecu.. and any modern stand-alone is vvti compatable. you might be looking at older threads.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
I've been finding most people running 7m electronics for the 2jzge motor. Which is nice because of simplicity. I think the vvti 2jzge is also drive by wire?

Anyways, is there a particular advantage of the 7m electronics? Did they just do it because they didn't have all of the 2jzge equipment? Standalone I don't think is affordable for me right now. I found two driving sc300s near me. One 98 with vvti with a title, the other a 95 no title. 98 being 3 hours away.

Vvti would be very nice but I figure it would be easier to follow in the footsteps of everyone else who have gone non vvti.

Raven97990

Supramania Contributor
Jul 3, 2005
Georgia
www.speedforsale.com
VVTI 2JZGE is not a good NA-T platform, as they got smaller rods. 2JZGTE VVTI is solid and what I am using. Its much simpler to run a nonVVTI as most people are not familiar with tuning them, but you loose a fair bit of spool.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
I also figured I'd just run non vvti because every one else has done it before while running 7mgte electronics. Saves me money time and complications. :). When I rebuild is it recommended to put a thicker gasket in? Street car aiming for the most a a340 can take with a basic build. Probably around 400whp.