Just bought a Supra, Needs a mad tune-up. Help

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
Hey, I just bought this supra and its in need of a tune up, well since I dont have much history on this car Im just going to do the most complete tune up I can, heres what I got planned:

1. Oil change/filter
2. All fluids in tranny, diffs, radi., etc, changed
3. any leaky house fixed including gaskets
4. plugs, wires, ingnition coil(would I need coils?) or wait I think its a module let me know on that
5. fuel filter, with a cleaner added to fuel
6. Timing
7. valve Clearance adjustment(anyone know how to do that, guessing haynes repair books knows best)

O on the valves its a 7m-gte with the NA cam shafts so i wouldnt know if that would have any affect on clearance.

uhh...thats all I got so far any questions I asked in there could you help me with and anythiong youd like to add please feel free cause this car needs it.

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
1. Oil change/filter

Good idea

2. All fluids in tranny, diffs, radi., etc, changed

Also, not a bad idea

3. any leaky house fixed including gaskets

In theory, its a good idea, especially on a turbo. The reality of it is, unless you can do it all yourself, its not very cost effective. Especially if the oil pan gasket is leaking.

4. plugs, wires, ingnition coil(would I need coils?) or wait I think its a module let me know on that

Plugs and wires should be sufficient. The coil packs are tough, and so is the ignitor.

5. fuel filter, with a cleaner added to fuel

The fuel filter is a bastard to get to. You have been warned. its above the rear end on the underbody. Fuel additive is personal preference.

6. Timing

Are you talking about the belt? or just the ignition timing?

7. valve Clearance adjustment(anyone know how to do that, guessing haynes repair books knows best)

This may be a bit of overkill. Of the 4 Supra's that i owned (as well as a Celica, and 2 MR2's that had identical style of valvetrain), I never really needed to set clearances and all was fine. Your mileage may vary.

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
o forgot to add, has comsmetic mhg, and ARP head studs so I might be good there, O i ahd a question too, the valves are pretty chattery or loud, it has NA camshafts so could that be causeing the problem or do they just need an adjustment, thanks for the replies.

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
O btw Im wanting the most major tune-up you can get, I want to start fresh and the timing Id like both belt and ignition, feel free to add anything else in the tune-up. O sorry another question, should there be a tad bit of oil in the intake, I think it might be from overfilling the block with oil but what else could it be, or is it even bad? thanks

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
You see guys, THIS is the kind of person I want on this forum. Asks a good question, with detail, and bookmarks the tsrm after just seeing it!
I hope you stay in this forum for the long run.
Anyway, pogoism9 made it clear as water on what to do.
-Thomas

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
hey anyone know where I can go to get check engine light code read? I know its a OBD I but I went to autozone and all they had was a OBD II, just want to see what code pops up casue I have no clue what it could be.

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
CryoSlash said:
You see guys, THIS is the kind of person I want on this forum. Asks a good question, with detail, and bookmarks the tsrm after just seeing it!
I hope you stay in this forum for the long run.
Anyway, pogoism9 made it clear as water on what to do.
-Thomas

Thanks man, and I do plan to stay, see ive been on many forums before and basically all you have to do is search and if you dont find youre answer there then post a topic, easy 1-2 steps dont know why people cant get that:3d_frown:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Supra-K said:
aight cool, know of any place that actually has the code reader?

You'll have to read your own codes. Your car is too old for somewhere like autozone or Advance to do it. It's pretty self explanatory in the thread I posted. If you can't figure it out, send me a pm.