Just bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
So I gave in to the weather that I know is coming as well as the need for a truck that can tow the Supra on a car trailer if needed (like to the up coming car show on the 4th) and bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab short bed with the 4.7L V8 Magnum. It has 171k miles on it, a propper tow package (looks to be either factory or a U-Haul setup), a plastic drop in bed liner, CD player, full power drivers seat, dark grey cloth interior, and almost brand new Goodyear all terrain tires ($222 each, decent ones that are very good off and on road). It has a couple minor flaws but those will be fixed soon enough starting tomorrow morning with the windshield being re-sealed (discovered it leaked badly driving in this shitty weather all day).

It came with chrome stick-on door handle covers (looked decent), but I want to go with a flat black theme for this truck so I took them off. Tomorrow after work I'll finish removing the adhesive foam tape and give them a quick wipe down.

Plans for the truck are:
- replace the drivers seat controller (one function only half works)
- re-seal the windshield
- fix the window switches (currently the windows can only be operated from the master switch console on the drivers door)
- repair/reinforce the front pillar grab handles (factory defect of them having no structural support, causing the handle/cover to break when being used)
- replace the stock grille with a flat black aftermarket OEM version
- replace the stock chrome bug deflector with a smoked version
- replace wheels with flat black aggressive aftermarket wheels
- install running boards/front brush guard
- install aftermarket burley bumpers
- DIY Rhino line the bumpers/running boards, brush guard/bed and tail gate
- install 4" lift in the rear and a 5 1/2" lift in the front (this will level it)
- upgrade the brake rotors/pads/calipers all around since the factory setup is flawed

I got the truck for $2k below blue book from a dealership in Puyallup on Saturday and have already managed to put on over 500 miles. I left my Civic at the dealership when I got it and went back today to sign my loan documents and pay my down payment. With the help of a rented U-Haul car dolly I was able to bring home the Civic. Towing the Civic was a cake walk for the truck and I was able to leave the overdrive on for most of the drive home (with the exception of the hills). I've very happy with the truck and can't wait to see how it's 5200 lb mass handles in the snow that's coming.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprarx7nut;1779354 said:
That's big.
That's what SHE said...?

Too soon? :p

So, from a Geo to a full size 4 door Dodge in less than a month. Man, talk about the grass being greener on the other side haha... They make decent tow rigs for what they are. Just remember that 4wd won't help stop that 5200lb mass any quicker and you'll do fine in the snow/ice. ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
That's good to hear man, I see FAR too many people sliding around in trucks/suvs with locked up wheels, wondering why they can't stop... Fortunately I live on a quieter side of town now, as far as traffic is concerned, but any time I go to my parent's house, it's an adventure. Basically have to treat everybody in a truck like a high school kid around here...

Sigh... I miss Arizona's roads. :p