Joined a gym. What to expect.

Topher E

Trance Head
Aug 4, 2005
Vacaville
For those of you who dont know I have lost 70+lbs quit smoking and started running on a regular basis.

Today I went into a few gyms prospecting which would fit my needs and I found one. I question you this, what can i expect? they gym looks to be very casual no gym rats in sight, the trainers were not the typical type, they were fit not like the ones i saw a the golds gym who looked like they just downed a bottle of roids.

What are some exercises programs i can do to target chest arms back legs abs and all that other stuff. What might be good to bring and some tips on helping build muscle and get rid of the fat. Should i count reps and sets should i be focusing on machines or free-weights?

Im 6'5 245 with a BMI of 29. I dont show it but i tell ya i feel i can get a lot better. I know it has been said before but motivation is no problem, I just need to get set into the first week and enjoy it.

GO!

Update on 5th page, i should clarify, I used online BMI scaling. When i was assessed at the gym i came out to 6'5 250 BMI 22. This was measured using a medical scale and body fat calipers.

Last edited:

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
1. only use free weights. They work a lot of extra muscles. You always want to be about 8-12 reps, sets are up to you. Anything more or less rep wise isnt working as well as it should. Try doing 8-12 reps x 3 sets of your stereotypical routine...bench, curl, military press, tricep pull down, etc. Works well for burning calories and the like. I have a sort of mma/boxing routine and i do a ton of cardio, full body workouts like carrying my bike up a hill and crayz stuff like that, and i have days just for core (abs/side/back)
2. always do this. warmup, stretch, workout, cool down, stretch. That is important to let your muscles grow instead of just hurting. Do a good 1-2 mins of stretching each muscle too...before and after.
3. drink a ton of water..1 ounce for every lb of body weight a day
4. have 40g sugar/carbs and 15g worth of protein shake after every workout. Then more of the same about an hour later. This is the most important thing diet wise. If you can, down a glass of iced tea, powdered gatorade, etc. Just stay away from high fructose corn syrup
5. get lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, and lean animal products, and stuff with vitamins A and C. Youll notice significant weight loss just by skipping ALL foods with sugar, and eating more fresh, living or once-alive food products. If you do that alone you wont even need to work out anymore. But youll have more than enough energy too

Any questions you can pm me or what not, ive read a lot of books on this and have noticed good results myself

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
If you can, spread your workouts over a few days and target one or two areas a day.

The way I do it is: Monday- Chest(Flat bench, Incline dumbbells or machine, decline dumb bells or macine, flies with dumbbells or the rope machine. Sometimes I'll do triceps on the chest day but when you work out your chest you work triceps as well.

Tuesday: Biceps and shoulders or back.(Curls, hammer curls with dumbbells, machine curls, wire machine curls) then the machine back workouts or Military press with macine or dumbbells for shoulders.

Wednesday: Legs.
Most say legs are one of the most important things you can do. Your legs are the largest muscles on your body and the more muscle you have the more fat you burn doing cardio or even just walking or sitting around.

It would be best to spread your work out days to every other day and give yourself some rest on Sat. and Sun. or however you plan it. Also switch up your workout days like mon-chest, tues- biceps and wed-legs..The next week do mon-biceps, tues-legs and wed-chest.

I normally either do 3x8 or 4x6 for reps. Make sure you're working heavy enough but not too heavy. You want to be able to do all your reps with the weight you have. Work your way up with weight, not down.(like 1st set 30, 2nd 35, 4th 35 or 40) But you want to be almost struggling your last few reps .
Protein shake within a half-hour of your workout if you can.

Change your meal pattern. Instead of 3 large meals a day, make it 5 smaller meals with less time between eating. And don't have a large meal for dinner but make sure you're never really hungry during the day because then you'll want to eat more your next meal. Quit drinking soft drinks. Bring water with you to work or wherever. Most people mistake being thirsty for hunger so drink water throughout the day.
Make healthy snacks to bring to work for when you do start feeling hungry like carrots, fruits, nuts or yogurt.

romaniello

Oct 28, 2005
Sanford, FL
Usually, joining a gym comes with a couple free sessions with one of the trainers.
They can create a routine for you that includes both cardio and strength training.

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
the best way to put on muscle fast is to work a different muscle a day and work it hard 3 sets each of 3 diferent exersises for the same muscle 9 sets total .when you do it right it takes a full wk to repair exept abs those you can work 6 days a wk . (the mass book) has alot of good info . also if you want to gain muscle fast you got to eat alot of callories 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fat (healthy callories). as long as you work out realy hard it wolnt go to your belly good luck

romaniello

Oct 28, 2005
Sanford, FL
87tomanymods;1288082 said:
the best way to put on muscle fast is to work a different muscle a day and work it hard 3 sets each of 3 diferent exersises for the same muscle 9 sets total .when you do it right it takes a full wk to repair exept abs those you can work 6 days a wk . (the mass book) has alot of good info . also if you want to gain muscle fast you got to eat alot of callories 40% protein 40% carbs and 20% fat (healthy callories). as long as you work out realy hard it wolnt go to your belly good luck

Looks like you've been reading on P90X.

Topher E

Trance Head
Aug 4, 2005
Vacaville
Thanks to the few who have stated useful information.
My diet is mostly health-oriented food, I do have a cheat meal every week or so. I am consuming 2100-2300 calories a day. Im taking a multi-vitamin and still running.

Isphius - is there a brand of protein shake you recommend?

My goal - my goal is to be toned. I'd like to lose the fat around my hips and belly. Id like to firm up my chest, back and arms.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Depending on your physical activity during the day, your calorie intake might be too low or just right. If you go to the gym and run every day, you probably need more calories. 30 mins of pretty good cardio per day might require more calories. Counting calories usually doesn't work and can actually make it worse because if you don't consume enough you wont build any muscle and your body will consume muscle instead of fat.

I've read that some men, depending on their physical activity, need from 4000 to 6000 calories a day. The human body naturally doesn't like muscle. Having muscle means you burn more calories doing anything than you would if you didn't have a lot of muscle mass.

Abs are just like any other muscle in your body. If you work it hard one day, it needs at least 24 hours of rest..Muscles need to time to rebuild. The protein helps and so do vitamins such as C.

Hell, when I do abs hard one day, they will be sore for 3 or 4 days after. Any other muscles are usually just sore for a day or maybe two. Which is why I only work them one day a week or maybe 2 times a week after they've rested for a few days.

Also, I use the walmart protein shake. Body fortress whey protein, $13 for a 2 pound tub. Chocolate is the best because it's not that bad with water..Vanilla and water is disgusting. Both are good with milk.

SupraJDS

Mar 31, 2006
--
If you want to be toned do reps of 10-12.

Everything depends on how much time you have but here is a plan I suggest to you:

Mondays:Back- Bi.s
tuesdays-chest
wenesdays: legs-shoulders
thursdays:Tris-Bi.s
friday-cardio.

Now if you want to do abbs you can throw them in on thursday, monday or on the weekend depending what results you want to see/ how tired you are (don't do abbs on a chest day)

Keep in mind everyone has their own way of working out so do whatever works best for you.

If you want me to get more detailed just tell me.

protein shakes- Doesn't really matter what kind you buy now. But remeber it gets expensive quick/ I buy the generic stuff

Also your diet sounds fine for what your trying to do

Goodluck,
Josh

Topher E

Trance Head
Aug 4, 2005
Vacaville
I should have stated that I am running 4miles 4 times a week. Think that a new nutrition plan might work in my favor?

Are you taking any other supplements outside of the shake and A&C? Is your workout regiment like the one you posted earlier? Are you going solo or with a buddy to the gym?

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
if its still on the market (edothil cr) work crazy good . afew yrs ago me and a buddy put on 20lbs each in less than 5 months. thats crazy considering without supliments its phisicaly impossible for the body to make more than 1oz of muscle a day thats like 2lbs max a month any thing more is water on the muscle or fat

SupraJDS

Mar 31, 2006
--
I don't know if a new nutrition plan might work for you because I don't know your diet,

Most other supplements are bullshit except creatine. I have been working out for almost two years now and I am about to start using it because I am at the point where I need alittle push (best time to start using it).

That is my work out plan I just don't do cardio. I am trying to gain size so I rep low with more weight. Mondays I deadlift also but I don't suggest that unless you know what you are doing.

I highly suggest you make friends with the memebers at the gym because they will give you advise and spot you if needed.

Also check out- Bodybuilding.com

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Creatine can be good to take before a workout. I just take a once daily multivitamin.

And it's always good to get a buddy to go with you. You can push each other harder while working out and it's great to have a spot. It makes you feel more comfortable lifting heavy weight and he can give you a little help if you get stuck in your motion.
He can also help to pick up heavy dumbbells to use when you're in a weird position like a decline bench so you don't hurt yourself.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
First off, congratulations on the weight loss and giving up smoking. Gym work outs are a good starting point, just watch out for injuries. Take a look at your goals and where you want to be in 6 months and a year.
For overall fitness I would include as much cardio as possible, believe me it pays big dividends in the long run. You might want to vary your running routine. Basic run, track workout with mile repeats, hill run, long slow run.
Big thing is watching your heart rate and knowing your threshold.
Also might want to add a bicycle ride twice a week, that's the fastest way to lose any weight on your hips and stomach.
Also might want to add swimming 3 days a week. If there is a pool close check and see if they have a morning masters swim.
Combine all 4- swim-bike-run-with weights and you can achieve a fitness that can last your entire life.
You might want to try MET-Rx. Works great for building lean muscle mass.
I trained on it a lot when racing and found it helpful in losing excess off season pounds.
IM--2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run.

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
i agree totaly with swd fredster 3 on the swiming that works every muscle simotaniosly truly great exersize. keep in mind its hard to gain substacial amounts of muscle ,and lose fat at the same time. a lb is 3500 callories if negative you loose fat ,if positive w/ streght training it can turn into muscle, but you can never turn fat into muscle. if done wrong you can lose weight and become weaker even though your lifting weights frequently. not enough calories and you will eat into muscle growth/existing muscle