Jo3f1sh's semi-build...

Jo3f1sh

Noob
Jul 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Well i figured i'd make a thread about how my '92 Supra has come along...SLOWLY.

A little history first:

I bought it in July for $3000. '92, turbo, hardtop, 5 speed, shadow grey leather. Figured this was a great recipe so i jumped on it. Only issue really was the paint and a nice size dent in the door. I've got a paint and body guy that does great work (albeit though VERY slowly) so i wasn't too concerned.

Engine had roughly 165k with a basically brand new cooling system. New water pump, radiator, hoses, new gaskets EVERYWHERE and a new head gasket with ARP's at 80lbs. Almost completely stock save for a bigger intercooler and 2 ½" hard pipes. Still even had the factory exhaust. Turbo was in great shape. Burned nothing and still spooled right to 7 psi. Figured i got a pretty good deal. (so i hope). He also eliminated the EGR system which i thought was strange...only thing i'm worried about is the 15+ year old oil pump...hopefully i'll replace that shortly.

On to the pictures, here's how i bought her except for the fact it had MKIV NA wheels. The paint on the roof and bumpers were fading as with the clear coat. The drivers door had a pretty big crease, so we had to replace it with a new one. Which turned out for the better since the driver's side door handle was fubar'd anyhow.

p853831_1.jpg

p853831_2.jpg

p853831_3.jpg

Don't worry...that engine shot has changed drastically. All pipes now match and it's about 1,000,000x cleaner...also, the bay is now fully black to match the rest of the car. I was going to be damned if i opened my hood and still saw teal.

Here's how she sits at the moment...she's painted, but is still being wet sanded. I'm supposedly picking her up today, so if i do, this thread should be updated shortly.

p853831_4.jpg

p853831_5.jpg

p853831_6.jpg

If you notice, it looks like an '89-'90 nose piece with the square emblem indentation, but actually, the '91-'92 Toyota emblem has the same indentation on the back of it...first time i saw this i was like "whaaaa?!" Since when did i need a new nose piece?

p853831_7.jpg

I've got lots of cleaning to do...

Here are a few parts going on after she comes out:

Euro Fogs

p853831_8.jpg

Alpine CDA-7894 - Sold one of my cars with this radio in it and have regretted it ever since. Found a practically new one (not this one) on ebay so i snatched it up. Still in the box!

p853831_9.jpg

Bomex 3 hole lip (straight from Bomex)

uad071.jpg

H&R Springs (no picture...)

Tokico Illumina's (also no picture...)

Stern 18" wheels

p853831_10.jpg

This is actually my current rental. A '90 Turbo. I'm borrowing it from a friend while mine is still in the booth. I made a deal for the wheels and his exhaust which is an HKS Dragger 3" from the turbo back. Although it's not in as good of shape as mine, it still has potential. However, it does leak almost every drop of coolant it has overnight...

Hope i get to update this soon. I haven't driven my Supra since September so i'm getting pretty ansy...

Hope you guys like!

Last edited:

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Whoaaaa......nice transformation. Your rental looks equally as good.I love clean Supras. They look great stock.
I have the exact same car....192 / teal / black interior :) .
I was thinking of making mine the Rare Mica Jade ..... in the future.

Is yours Black or real dark blue??? Im a bit color blind.. lol
Awesome work by the way.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
noah89t said:
nice job, but i think some ppl would not paint their teal car another color. i have heard that teal is a rare color.

Meh, teal may be rare, but black is beautiful.

Jo3f1sh

Noob
Jul 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
noah89t said:
nice job, but i think some ppl would not paint their teal car another color. i have heard that teal is a rare color.

I considered that, but after debating between the two, i finally decided on black. And believe me...i went back and forth for quite awhile before i made a decision. Also, the price difference between doing a complete color change and keeping it Teal was pretty small, and i had always wanted a MK III Supra in black.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
looks good man, is that matt's car?

i was wondering if he ever got that coolant leak fixed.

well keep us updated with pics once you get it back, once its done you need to bring it to something local man, we need more MKIII's that run around here

Jo3f1sh

Noob
Jul 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
There'll be a full shoot of the car once it fully out. I actually got to drive it tonight, though...about 100 meters...to another shop where she currently sleeps. BUT, Saturday is the day the magic happens...Wheels, suspension, exhaust all going on. I'm stoked.

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Jo3f1sh

Noob
Jul 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
As rare as it may have been, it was in terrible condition and the drivers door was beyond repair...the way i figured, even if i had repainted it Teal, it wouldn't have been the original paint anyhow, so what not go black?

And i got a pretty good deal on it considering all that was done:

Full 3 stage PPG paint
New driver's door
Dent in hood fixed
Every ding or dent smoothed and filled
Antenna shaved (still waiting on that piece)
All door jambs, trunk, and under hood painted.

$2200

xxxotiknightz

Boomer
May 23, 2006
NORCAL
www.cardomain.com
Jo3f1sh said:
As rare as it may have been, it was in terrible condition and the drivers door was beyond repair...the way i figured, even if i had repainted it Teal, it wouldn't have been the original paint anyhow, so what not go black?

And i got a pretty good deal on it considering all that was done:

Full 3 stage PPG paint
New driver's door
Dent in hood fixed
Every ding or dent smoothed and filled
Antenna shaved (still waiting on that piece)
All door jambs, trunk, and under hood painted.

$2200

That is a kick ass deal. I did a rx-7 earlier this year with 3 stage, no jambs, and minimal body work and it ran him $2500.

Titus

Jo3f1sh

Noob
Jul 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Bigzavs - Yep it sure is. That freeze plug is still leaking. I spend more on coolant to keep this thing going than i do gas for it...oh and it no longer has the front bumper. It was torn off by a Dodge Ram...

I couldn't believe the price for the paint, but having to wait three months for a paint job is pretty ridiculous. Hopefully it's almost over. The weather should be nice these next couple of days, so expect a nice big shoot with tons of pictures.