Jim Barkley Toyota Mishap

I brought my 87 supra in for an alignment. They put it on the lift and came out to tell me they couldn't (1)do an alignment because I need a new bushing for my left rear lower control arm. (2) They couldnt get it on the alignment machine because it was to low:nono:. about 3 mins later I hear a revving sound. and I hear it again. and again. and then I REALLY heard it. Even with my effed up ankle I ran to the back to see what was going on with my car. There were 3 or 4 guys surrounding it and the mechanic (Eric) was in it. At a stand still he revved it again and then noticed I was standing there. Well guess what! Now the engine is making some noises. And the back end is making some high pitched vibrating sound. I've called corporate. I've called Redline Performance (Jason Goforth. Black Civic that beat the 97 Stang GT on pinks) and set up an appointment to check the noises out and see what they did. I specifically told Jim Barkley toyota that the car is NOT tuned. I called Jim Barkley Toyota and asked for customer service. The assistant manager ended up picking up and said "I'm going to give you a fair warning that if you bring your car to someone else to look at it, we WILL NOT pay for anything that you think is messed up." I had called my lawyer before that. So I told the manager "Well then I'm just going to follow up with my lawyer"
What do I do?!

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Talk to your lawyer. Simple as that.

They abused your car. Regardless if it is not tuned or not. They abused it and caused damage.

Either tell them they are paying to rebuild the motor and rear-end or you are going to sue them, which will take much longer, and cost them much more money.

Mondo

May 26, 2009
Wisconsin
Forgot to mention. If this is the assistant manager telling you this, go to the General Manager. Then go to District, work your way up.

Threaten them with Media coverage and sueing. In this economy they should buckle somewhere.

5liter

May 18, 2009
Chattanooga
awsbakerordie;1334316 said:
I brought my 87 supra in for an alignment. They put it on the lift and came out to tell me they couldn't (1)do an alignment because I need a new bushing for my left rear lower control arm. (2) They couldnt get it on the alignment machine because it was to low:nono:. about 3 mins later I hear a revving sound. and I hear it again. and again. and then I REALLY heard it. Even with my effed up ankle I ran to the back to see what was going on with my car. There were 3 or 4 guys surrounding it and the mechanic (Eric) was in it. At a stand still he revved it again and then noticed I was standing there. Well guess what! Now the engine is making some noises. And the back end is making some high pitched vibrating sound. I've called corporate. I've called Redline Performance (Jason Goforth. Black Civic that beat the 97 Stang GT on pinks) and set up an appointment to check the noises out and see what they did. I specifically told Jim Barkley toyota that the car is NOT tuned. I called Jim Barkley Toyota and asked for customer service. The assistant manager ended up picking up and said "I'm going to give you a fair warning that if you bring your car to someone else to look at it, we WILL NOT pay for anything that you think is messed up." I had called my lawyer before that. So I told the manager "Well then I'm just going to follow up with my lawyer"
What do I do?!

Hey, follow-up with your lawyer. He will have a better chance with getting your car repaired. If your lawyer calls or write a letter with intent to sue,this will get their attention.
Most people mess up by not seeking a lawyer, going to the local news station or filing a complaint with the better business bureau.
I would go to my local news station with this events and let them put it out over the tv. A news report of this type is not good for their business, and who knows maybe others will come forward. Good luck.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Did you bring it up to any/all managers at that dealership that their employees were abusing your car? Including the GM? Did you get the names of the other employees that were witnessing the abuse? It might not be the best idea taking your car to a "high performance" shop to check things out and assess the damage. That would seem a little fishy. You might try taking to another toyota dealership. Let them calculate the damage. From there you could probably let them fix it and send the bill to Jim Barkley, let Jim Barkley fix it, or sue for the monetary value of the damage. Well heck, you have a laywer. He'll let you know your options. Good luck and keep up posted with any results.

Yes I really have a lawyer. My wife owns a huge Chinese Buffet and we all have toyota, or lexus. ALL of us. including her aunts, uncles, cousins. The only people who don't own something from toyota are her brother and cousin. they own STIs. Anyways. YES I have a lawyer. Yes I talked to a manager. The Service DEPT. Manager. She looked at me like a cow looks at an oncoming train and said "So what do you want me to do about it?" I didn't realize the noises until I had driven back home.

Just got off the phone with corporate. They say that I can ONLY bring it to Jim Barkley to get the damage assessed. I'm bringing my lawyer with me. I'm also going to try to get the security tapes. I just can't believe this ish is happening. I'm going to try to get a rep from my insurance company to come out with us too. Maybe even get Mr. Berkfuck to tow my car. So he knows nothing happened after I drove it home. I've fucked the army before. A toyota dealership is the least of my worries.

j3pz

still learning
take a video camera when you go to get it looked at. this is why i would hate having to take my car somewhere to get worked on (ive done all my own work thus far besides machining). go see your lawyer as soon as possible. whatever else you do, dont do anything drastic or hasty. dont forget to keep us in the loop