JDM engine site recommendations

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Alright guys heres my deal i need a new engine since i dont have a complete one at the moment (basically a block and head that went through a stripped bearing and did some damage), I basically have about $2000 to spend and i need a tranny and engine. I want to stay with a 7mgte and i was just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for places to order one from. I would like to get the engine and tranny then replace the headgasket before i drop it in for under $2000. Ive heard mixed opinions about tigerautoparts.com , i did some searching on this topic but nothing came up. if there is a thread already i would appreciate it if u post it. Thank you in advance guys, Oh by the way if it helps the im located in AZ.

Last edited:

Tae361

Jul 15, 2008
NY
gurley0916;1103420 said:
Alright guys heres my deal i need a new engine since i dont have a complete one at the moment (basically a block and head that went through a stripped bearing and did some damage), I basically have about $2000 to spend and i need a tranny and engine. I want to stay with a 7mgte and i was just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for places to order one from. I would like to get the engine and tranny then replace the headgasket before i drop it in for under $2000. Ive heard mixed opinions about tigerautoparts.com , i did some searching on this topic but nothing came up. if there is a thread already i would appreciate it if u post it. Thank you in advance guys, Oh by the way if it helps the im located in AZ.

I got my motor from JDM Engine Depot, pretty cool guys that have a good flow of incomming/outgoing motors. Of course I did local pick up, not sure how much your shipping would be to AZ. Their 7MGTE is 1450 so it should be around 2k with shipping.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
have you looked around at the local junkyards?

i just looked through your build thread. why cant you use that last engine????? im very confused on why you want a JDM engine...

626na

Banned
Jan 15, 2008
cali
why is the ijz so cheap on that site^????
whatelse would i need if i have a 86.5 na to install the jz

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
People have had mixed results with 1JZ's from Osaka. Their customer service sucks but they're very cheap. I paid $1050 shipped to my door. They're supposed to include a rear sump, auto trans, uncut harness, ecu, ignitor, and map. Mine is supposed to be here today so I'll post later tonight on whether or not they're as advertised.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Rennat;1103558 said:
have you looked around at the local junkyards?

i just looked through your build thread. why cant you use that last engine????? im very confused on why you want a JDM engine...

because i sold most of the parts, i was going to do a rebuild but then i started to realize a lot of little things were missing from my engine from the previous owner when i got it. Its a long story but thats basically it in a nut shell.

Thanks guys for the in puts, Ive been looking at JDM engine depot i just didnt know the quality of there engines.

And yes post some pics of your 1jz i want to see how bad the cut it up when removing it when it arrives

Tae361

Jul 15, 2008
NY
gurley0916;1103694 said:
because i sold most of the parts, i was going to do a rebuild but then i started to realize a lot of little things were missing from my engine from the previous owner when i got it. Its a long story but thats basically it in a nut shell.

Thanks guys for the in puts, Ive been looking at JDM engine depot i just didnt know the quality of there engines.

And yes post some pics of your 1jz i want to see how bad the cut it up when removing it when it arrives

I personally visited JDM engine depot because it was so close and they have a massive inventory of Toyota engines. Their motors are very clean and I watched them as they bathed and prepped my motor, those guys really know what they are doing. I'm currently talking to them about importing a complete TTR for me as they also can import complete cars. When I visited them they had 8 GTE's and alot of 1j and 2j's.

I'm not too sure about osaka imports, I looked into them but I like to see what I am buying when it comes to something so critical.

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
Santa finally paid me a visit in his big brown sleigh today. I've got to say I'm pleasantly suprised. The engine looks great. So far it looks to be as advertised. I was only at my shop for a little while and snapped a few pics. The only thing I didn't notice while giving it a quick look over was the MAP sensor, but I'm not sure where it is on a 1JZ so it might be there. If not, it's not a big deal. I bought one off Ebay cheap ($25) a few weeks ago plus I might not need it since I already have a MAP ECU2 and I think the MAP in there makes the stock one unused anyway. The harness had ALL the connectors and the hydrofan ecu and ignitor are still hooked up. Here are some pics...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Rear Sump - Big +
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Ignitor
sm_photo_missing.jpg

ECU
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Hydrofan Pump
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is the connector for the fuse box with the other end of the clip
sm_photo_missing.jpg

All in all, I'm very pleased with what I got for $1050. It's even the second generation 1JZ. It also had the starter, motor mounts and brackets, and trans ecu. I gave it a quick lookover but didn't see any cut wires or anything else that would make me growl. Does this mean Osaka is the shit, no. It just means they're the shit in my case. The next person might get royally screwed. I just got lucky and until I actually have it running I'm not going to praise them too much.

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
You won't need much more. It's the wiring that can be a pain. I already had a '87 Turbo 5-Speed car for parts and I'm using the R154 from that. All I really need to get it running are a bellhousing, flywheel, 2JZ water pump, throttle cable (different people like to use different ones), 2JZ PS pressure hose, and a few other minor things. I'll be taking my time and doing alot more than just throwing it in like going single, 2JZ cams, Crower Springs, MAP ECU2, bigger injectors, and a few other goodies.

mk3supra91

Jun 21, 2007
Jersey
motor looks very clean. One question though, how hard is the wiring with out a front clip? i know theirs alot of parts you can get off of driftmotion for the swap, im just trying to find how hard the swap is without a front clip. I know if the motor is from a jza70 the wiring is supposed to be easier.

thanks for any info.