Jdm 7mgte swap ?'s

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
Hi guys,

I'm about to do a jdm 7mgte swap into my 87 supra 7mgte this coming week.

I did some searching on the forum and found these issues:

#1. a few coolant lines are routed differently - I can take care of this

#2. oil pressure sending unit measures in bar, usdm measures in psi (problem) My supra is a canadian supra so it measures in bar i'm pretty sure so I dont have to change this do I?

#3. Throttle body is different and has to be replaced- found this link so solve that issue :http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1111&highlight=jdm+throttlebody

#4. no egr- no emmisions for my car anymore, so i wont be running this.

#5. a few vacuum lines are absent when compared to the usdm motor- what do i have to do?

#6. If the motor i get is 89+ :can i use the mounts off my old motor?

And is that all I should be worried about pretty much?

Thanks guys

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
#1. Take them off of your current motor as the easiest solution.

#2. Yes, it's not the reading that's different it's the instrument itself. Canada just got different gauge faces in metric as opposed to psi. The instrument itself is the same.

#3. That'll do.

#4. No problem, then.

#5. Most of those are for the emissions that aren't there on the JDM motor, so that means that you don't have to cap them.

#6. That's exactly what you do.

Naturally, you'll be replacing the head gasket and at least inspecting the crank and cam bearings before dropping it in, right? Just because the JDM motor is "low mileage" doesn't mean that it's in good shape.

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
Dan_Gyoba;979631 said:
#2. Yes, it's not the reading that's different it's the instrument itself. Canada just got different gauge faces in metric as opposed to psi. The instrument itself is the same.

Naturally, you'll be replacing the head gasket and at least inspecting the crank and cam bearings before dropping it in, right? Just because the JDM motor is "low mileage" doesn't mean that it's in good shape.

for your answer to # 2, is it yes-as in use my cruurent oil sending unit? or yes as in- i can use the jdm one?

Befor the motor is going in inspection will be done an a MHG will be installed with arp's.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Yes, you have to replace the sending unit. The Canadian sending unit is the same as the USA one, which is different from the JDM one.

-- That is, of course, assuming that the JDM one actually is different and the person who replaced it hadn't jumped to conclusions because the gauge looks different.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
@Red: As I said above, replace the head gasket for sure, and make sure to inspect the bearings. For the time and expense of swapping a motor in, it makes no sense to not do these things while you have a motor out of the car.