JDM 7MGE's

toyota kid

Oct 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Im sure theres alot of post about this topic but i couldnt find them.
I would like to know if the Head/Block Surface of the 7mge engines that are being brought to the United states are leveled for a Metal head gasket to go on? They say they are low milage engines so im assuming that resurfacing is not techniqully necessary since they have not had a blown head gasket yet? If anyone knows and can answer my question that'll be great thanks

SRZMK3

when you buy one you may want to look into the engine by taking it apart before you put it in the car, many things can happen to the engine while it sits in "JDM storage land" before it gets to you like if the owner put tap water into the car all fo the freeze plugs willl need to be replaced and the head may have major pitting, you can never know but you can also be lucky to get a really good one but in general you may want to resurface both the head and block anyways if you are going with the metal headgasket.

one thing to note is that for a NA engine a MHG isnt really that necessary, if you get a good quality headgasket and use a copper spray and ARP bolts then the gasket will seal to the head and conform to the block for a very good seal, the main issue for these engines really only was the torque specs and the bolts they used not really the headgasket itself.

so take the engine apart and rebuild it a little bit trust me you wont regret your results,, VROOOM SKKRRR VRROOOOOOOOOOOM

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
A side note, some vendors of imported engines check the engine for you, and offer pretty good warranties. They tend to cost a bit more but they are guaranteed to run for a year.