JDM 2jz ge swap. Need info on air intake system

Bernett

May 30, 2016
Leesburg, VA
My 1990 supra mge engine finally bit the dust at 274,000 miles. I have decided to do the 2jz ge swap and have purchased the engine and most of the parts I'll need to swap the engine and use my W58 transmission. My JDM engine has a MAP sensor and another sensor that looks like a Lucas air temp sensor. I think this sensor just sits in the air intake hose ahead of the intake manifold. There doesn't seem to be too much information regarding 2jz ge JDM engines. Most of the pictures and information I find show engines with MAF sensors. Since I'm not sure what car this engine came from I can't look up the stock air intake information. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a picture of what this sensor looks like.Lucas air temp sensor.JPG

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
The JDM engines use those type is Inlet air temperature sensors with a Map sensor. My 1JZ has an older style metallic one that mounts on the intake but the newer plastic ones can mount on the rubber pieces. some corollas from the USA use it too.
Here is a cross reference for that part from Toyota's and you can get an idea where it could go.
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=89424-12010&mU=on&mE=on&mJ=on&mG=on
you can click the car then underneath the diagram for it.

Bernett

May 30, 2016
Leesburg, VA
Thanks for all for that information. I thought it would go somewhere in front of the intake manifold. I'll have to make up my intake pipe so I'll add it there.

Paul

MoparMarq

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Put mine in the 3" intake pipe right after the air filter, which is located in the factory location. An oversized hole with a rubber grommet from Napa holds it in place. If you decide to add a oil catch can to your engine, make sure the IAT sensor is upstream of the oil catch can suction source in the intake pipe leading to the throttle body. You don't want the IAT contaminated with any oil mist.

Good luck with your swap. Even normally aspirated, the 2JZ is an improvement over the 7MGE. A little bit more torque and power, and less NVH. If you decide to do a header instead of the stock cast manifolds,
the only one of 4 that I tried that fit was an Altezza IS300 header. Not sure if it's made anymore. It's a 6 tubes into 2 type setup, and was the only one that would clear the subframe at the rear mount of the lower suspension control arm.

Also give some thought as to where you'll locate your coil and igniter, as the harness doesn't allow tons of slack in the leads between the coil/igniter assembly and the IAT.

Bernett

May 30, 2016
Leesburg, VA
Thanks for all the information. I'm not sure about using an oil catch can. I see that I have one line coming from the drivers side valve cover with a PCV valve and there is another line that is open that I'm not sure where that would go. Can you tell me where line goes? I just checked my OBX header and your correct it just grazes the subframe at the lower control arm. I should be able to make that fit without losing the integrity of the frame. I put in my engine and it didn't fit as well as I was expecting. The sump hit the front crossmember on the drivers side. I had to raise that engine mount by about 3/4". Now my engine is slightly tilted. I think if I raise the other side my header may get by that subframe. My transmission also ended up about 3/4" further back making it difficult to mount using my transmission mount. I had to elongate the holes and could only get 2 of the 4 bolts in. I thought with the shorter bell housing it would match. Apparently not. I'll wait until I have my wiring harness before I locate my coil and igniter. Thanks again.

Paul