its a cooling issue! confusing.

MK3Jay

Jun 4, 2012
LA
Ok so car finally over heated last night. I realized that the only thing hot and boiling was the coolant in the little plastic bottle. Coolant was exiting off that small tubing on the side as it dripped down it created the smoke. Engine was cool, radiator calm. Though I have had both boil in past times. Seems like a hose be out or the radiator cap is crap. Just asking what are your opinions on this? Its a 7mgte engine on an automatic 88. (I know I know conversions coming). I was planning on switching out the radiator to a Koyo radiator. Should I do that now and replace all the hosing to see how it goes? I'm just a bit confused as to why it overheated and the only thing hot is that little reservoir tank o_O

MK3Jay

Jun 4, 2012
LA
Oh yup! Was so stubborn to believe it, I wonder how long I've been running it to death. No doubt about it now BHG. Sorry for all the stupid question posts. Shell be parked till spring. Now that it blew im not gonna bother to quick fix but rebuild the 7M forged pistons and all.

MK3Jay

Jun 4, 2012
LA
I'll go ahead and do that but the smoke is bad and the oil is milky D:. What I don't get still is why the engine has no hicups when on. Thanks though.

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
MK3Jay;1857302 said:
I'll go ahead and do that but the smoke is bad and the oil is milky D:. What I don't get still is why the engine has no hicups when on. Thanks though.

My son and I have run GE's for 6 months with BHG's and they ran great -- just had to keep adding water to the radiator.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
Hotwheelsjr;1857314 said:
My son and I have run GE's for 6 months with BHG's and they ran great -- just had to keep adding water to the radiator.

yup i did this on my 7mgte supra for 8 months
headgasket was blown into the combustion chamber...never burned coolant just lost 2 qts every 50 mile trip to work
top her off and drive back lol

MK3Jay

Jun 4, 2012
LA
Confirmed BHG. Going to go for a full rebuild, new head and decking the block. HKS 2.0 MHG, forged pistons etc. All the top quality goodies.....talk about a money eater. Gonna be a long winter.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
jonahs_supra;1857418 said:
headgasket was blown into the combustion chamber...never burned coolant just lost 2 qts every 50 mile trip to work

A quart of oil every 25miles pretty pricey lol.

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
jonahs_supra;1857418 said:

LOL...my son's 89 GE is blown between cyls 3 & 4 right now. The cyls are swapping compression. Sounds like a badass cam...LOL! Unfortunately with loss of compression in two cyls, it's a nutless wonder. It still runs and drives just fine...just a little less quick than it used to be. No coolant loss...strictly swapping compression.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Keep driving it, it'll only etch the head and make it unusable. I don';t know why people don't fix these things immediately instead of it turning into a $3k rebuild?

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
Typhoon;1857496 said:
Keep driving it, it'll only etch the head and make it unusable. I don';t know why people don't fix these things immediately instead of it turning into a $3k rebuild?

We have a built 7M-GTE waiting to be transplanted. If you didn't notice...I'm in AZ. No way in hell we're doing a motor swap in the middle of summer here. I could care less what happens to the GE.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Hotwheelsjr;1857494 said:
LOL...my son's 89 GE is blown between cyls 3 & 4 right now. The cyls are swapping compression. Sounds like a badass cam...LOL! Unfortunately with loss of compression in two cyls, it's a nutless wonder. It still runs and drives just fine...just a little less quick than it used to be. No coolant loss...strictly swapping compression.

i traded for a 85 mustang with a 302 1 time
sounded like it had 1 hell of a lopey cam in it but absolutely no power
compression test comfirmed 2 cylinders side by side was dumping compression
new headgaskets and she was running like a beast.... lol

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Typhoon;1857496 said:

only reason i didnt do the headgasket was i could care less about the 160k mile 7m that was in it
had a rebuilt 7m sitting on the stand ready to swap in

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
You guys do know that by being lazy, you are rapidly depleting all the good engines out there? Shame, seen it happen before to several makes of cars, ends up not being worth owning them.
I bet you send the old engines off for scrap too?

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
Typhoon;1858188 said:
You guys do know that by being lazy, you are rapidly depleting all the good engines out there? Shame, seen it happen before to several makes of cars, ends up not being worth owning them.
I bet you send the old engines off for scrap too?

SMH...around here you can't even give away a GOOD GE. If you'd like to come out here, you're more than welcome to do a HG job on his car in my driveway. Might wanna start around 1am when the temp finally drops below 100*. Otherwise, gotta do what we gotta do -- he needs to get to work somehow. It's not being "lazy" -- it's not wanting to suffer 3rd degree burns when I pick up a ratchet I had to set down 5 minutes earlier. Yes -- I send the old engines off to scrap after I piss in the intake. :icon_roll