it still won't start!! i hit it with a hammer and everything.

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
So I just picked up a non running supra n/a. was pulled from a garage after sitting since 03. the fuel pump was not working when I bought it, was a new pump that burnt out in 7 miles and 3 months sitting. Have a new one in and am running it direct off the battery right now. Pessure is making it to the rail, have to check it is enough but seems right. Did not check the injectors to make sure they are fireing yet ( just learned about the screwdriver trick) but that is next on the fuel side.

I have spark, new wires and plugs, good spark. Need to recheck the ground but I am 90% that I did it right the first time

So I (probably) have gas and I have good spark.

It turns fine, when starter fluid is added it starts right up and I can keep it running but it fires out of the intake so I don't want to force it anymore. Sometimes it will start for a second or 2 without starter fluid, I hear it wanting to catch but won't.

So am I missing anything Obivous?

Tomorrow I am going to pull the intake and replace the valve cover gaskets, I do not want to pull the rail if I don't have to but I am at a loss for what else it could be. Any ideas? Anyway I check the injectors without pulling them?
I was told by a shade tree mechanic that if I hit them with 12v off and on they should clean themselves but have never done it. don't feel like spriging for new injectors cause I fryed them doing something dumb.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Hmm... In my handful of experiences with reviving dead Toyotas (3 of them Supras) my issues have been:
1: Bad fuel pump
2: Bad fuel (car wouldn't even catch for a second with 2 year old fuel. Drained and replcaed with a gallon of good fuel... bam started)
3: CPS wires
4: Starter
5: Battery

If you haven't replaced the gasoline, I'd drain it all and replace with new. If that still doesn't work and you know the fuel pump works (you can literally hear it when you jumper the right terminals in the Diagnostic Block) then i'd check for timing issues.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Don't know if you've verified your timing marks, cam gears, crank pulley mark, #1 at TDC, and rotor pointing at #1 wire?

AFM plugged in?

ECU grounds connected?

Fuel pump relay plugged in?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
According to your other thread you still haven't drained your gas tank and put in fresh gas? So when are you planning on doing that before asking more "still won't start need help" threads? I could be wrong.... have you emptied your tank and put in new fresh gasoline and tried starting it yet???

Ok, it wasn't you that started that gas tank drain plug thread. Sorry for jumping your shit. But have you tried that? You could have stale gas that won't run since it's running on starting fluid.

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
It's cool suprapowaz, trust me I want my car to run a hell of a lot more than I want to post here about why it isn't.

I fliped the gas out, when I did the pump, but after reading up a bit more because of suprarx7nut's post, I decided the 3 month old gas I put in might be as bad as the gas I took out, I compared smells with newer gas and it wasn't the same. So I am pulling the plug again tomorrow, glad I only put in 3 gallons.

I did nut check the timing or tdc because the car was running before and it hasn't been touched. So I assume that it didn't change by it's self. It will be checked if a few other things don't work.

CPS will be checked, along with the afm and the fuel presure reg. Ecu is not throwing any codes, how do you check on the part that checks on things? Well let's just assume that the ecu is not messed up and telling me everything is ok.

Grounds will be checked.

Fuel pump, is running direct from a battery.

Good check list so far.

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
Love that site aj, so much better than a hyanes. And yes that is what I ment by it is not throwing codes.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/engine_error_codes.aspx

Your right there are a ton of things that would cause it not to start, when I did a search I didn't find a full list of what could be wrong, though the search on this form leaves something to be desired so it might be out there. I thought this thread might help more people than just me.

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
Since it runs on starting fluid, it seems to be a fuel issue. Check your plugs now they may be fouled, easy up on the starting fluid you can 'wash out the rings'. Put at least five gallons of gas in it. Did you put a noid light on the injector harness to see if your getting a signal to pulse from the ecu? You can also use a 194 bulb just unfold the leads so you can plug the bulb into the injector plug in @ the harness side. The light will blink showing your getting a signal. By wiring it hot you may have bypassed something also, why did you wire it hot?

tfhorst

Nov 2, 2011
pittsburgh
Well no luck is bad luck, droped my socket set today when I was putting my tools away, wile searching under the car for ramdom sockets I felt a drop on my neck. I rolled over and low and behold a crushed fuel line. Guess what is happening is that it will build up enough pressure to start but not enough to keep it running for more than a second.

This is why I had presure enough when I checked it and to run for a sec on the first crank but not enough to keep it going.

Here's to dumb luck.