It begins again

Status
Not open for further replies.

EwGoetsch

EdWORD
Jul 12, 2009
Minneapolis Minnesota
So i found this badass beast on craigslist, http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/1861736516.html
5 speed with lsd, california car, the door and front left fender were replaced cuz his kid got in an accident with it, chinese man has owned it all its life, clutch is strong and engine sounds healthy but its got 276,000 on it. I still got my 7mge NA i rebuilt in my garage. I could swap that puppy right in right? i got the wiring harness/ecu and everything.

Let me know if you guys think i should buy this, i talked him down the $800!!!!!!!!!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depends entirely on damage behind the panels replaced, interior, and if there's any rust. He'll, if it's clean except for the two replacement panels it's worth the $900

EwGoetsch

EdWORD
Jul 12, 2009
Minneapolis Minnesota
I bought it today for $750(good negotiator :O ), their is no rust, only body damage is below the driver side door where the kid got hit on the driver side, its not dented in too bad, they just replaced the door and fender. The paint on it is super nice despite the door and fender. It has plenty of power, no leaks, and a rats next inbetween the cams :) The clutch is amazingly strong for how old it is, and definitely quicker than my auto 7m Cressida. Ill get some decent pics posted soon as i can. espcially of the nest!

EwGoetsch

EdWORD
Jul 12, 2009
Minneapolis Minnesota
Guy must of kept this in a garage for awhile, i was driving on HWY 252 in northern Minneapolis when my car started to overheat, idk how long it was overheating for (hope not long) but when i parked it i noticed coolant wasn't pouring out, just leaking, was dark so i dont know where from. Let the car chill for an hour and came back and it started up and ran fine, made across the street the gas station and it had full power so its not a BHG. Ill get if figured out tomarrow. Other than that this Cressida has full power, everything works, power windows , power locks, cruise control, and the clutch is strong. Wish me luck and lets hope 276,000 miles inst all this 5mge can put out. id like to get another 100,000 out of it.

EwGoetsch

EdWORD
Jul 12, 2009
Minneapolis Minnesota
EwGoetsch;1605495 said:
Guy must of kept this in a garage for awhile, i was driving on HWY 252 in northern Minneapolis when my car started to overheat, idk how long it was overheating for (hope not long) but when i parked it i noticed coolant wasn't pouring out, just leaking, was dark so i dont know where from. Let the car chill for an hour and came back and it started up and ran fine, made across the street the gas station and it had full power so its not a BHG. Ill get if figured out tomarrow. Other than that this Cressida has full power, everything works, power windows , power locks, cruise control, and the clutch is strong. Wish me luck and lets hope 276,000 miles inst all this 5mge can put out. id like to get another 100,000 out of it.

Took it apart this morning, busted coolant hose from the thermostat housing to the coolant lines around the block. NOT A BAD HEAD GASKET, THANK GOD I DONT HAVE A 7M ANYMORE!!!!!!!

EwGoetsch

EdWORD
Jul 12, 2009
Minneapolis Minnesota
If this Cressida was an automatic, it would of blown the head gasket, i just happened to put my car in neutral going downhill and it stalled out, then it made me notice the heat gauge way up there (funny cause from driving my 7mge all the time i would look at the temp gauge more than my speedometer, surprised i didn't see it spike). I believe it was from a stuck thermostat, the heat gauge would go up just a hair over halfway and the heat didn't blow hot even after running the car for an hour(before i changed thermostat and coolant line) and it smelled like anti freeze when i turned it on (yea heater core).
After 4 hours, new thermostat housing gasket, new thermostat and gasket, new coolant line, black rtv sealant , she runs great once again. I hate the spot of the disty and thermostat housing location on the 5mge, its way easier to get to on the 7m. Also changed crank case pressure hose from the block to the valve cover.
Ill get some pictures very soon!

Last edited:

1990MNSupra

Sep 24, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah good thing it wasnt a 7m right. Then you could have just tore off the exhaust to hide that faint rod knock and sell it to someone while telling them its a good motor.. Yeah thanks bud i really appreciate getting ripped off, finally got that motor in and running that i bought from you the other day and it knocks.

EwGoetsch

EdWORD
Jul 12, 2009
Minneapolis Minnesota
Yea, and what do you want me to do about it. Your the one who handed the money over for it. Your the one who didnt test drive it, you didnt let the car warmup to see if there were any problems while warm, you didnt check the coolant, you didnt check the oil, you came, heard it running, and bought it, thats your fault. I was 100% honest with the sale, it never knocked when i had it, so obviously these problems arose after you installed it or maybe put some miles on it. Including that you have a $400+ cylinder head that was rebuilt at a reputable machine shop in Rochester, i have the reciept, you got arp head studs that were brand new that i paid $110 for. And a clean ass engine setup? not to mention all sensors, tranny, you have atleast $1000 or parts on that thing that if you took your time and would post stuff for sale, instead of your 1 post that you have complaining at me. And i also told you when you bought it that it had a slight knock in the intake cam cause the camshafts were old. And told you that they may need to be replaced, and that i had a pair of turbo cams in the garage that i was going to give you for free, but you didn't want them. IF it is that big of a deal, and you explain the "knock" a little better i could more understand and help you out. But why should i help someone out that is complaining to me and telling me i ripped them off? Maybe you should of approached the situation differently and you never know how far someone can go to help another person out.

Complaining like a kid never solves anything. Confronting the situation in more of a passive manner like an adult is more likely for the person to help you out. If you would of called me and said "hey man the motor i got from you is knocking, do you think there is any way you could help me out". I would of been over at your house in less than a week helping you tear the thing apart to fix it. I have access to a machine shop where i can do my own work for free without paying the shop. And 2500+ worth of tools. You shouldn't assume that everyone you do business with through internet is a complete asshole. And like i said before, you have well over $500 worth of parts on that car you bought from me, you just dont realize it.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

oh yea, nice trolling btw

1990MNSupra

Sep 24, 2009
Minnesota
Because with absolutely no exhaust its possible to hear a slight rod knock? "it never knocked when i had it""it had a slight knock in the intake cam" " You also told me over the phone that you would trust this motor to last a while, not that i needed more than a year out of it. And yes i'm going to test drive a car that the side is mashed in two feet and once again with no exhaust. Also there are about 13 miles on the motor since its been put in mine, i highly doubt a knock arose in that small amout of time. I dont really know how much more to explain either, its got the typical 7m rod knock.

Parts are not gonna be worth that much, its a GE not that many people build em up. The heads probably the only thing worth much.
Only reason i wanted the motor is it was local and i just wanted to be able to daily drive it for a bit to get my supra done. I appreciate the fact that you would have helped but the fact is i didnt have the time to do a complete rebuild and that is why i bought this motor, if i wanted to build it i got tools and a guy that can do machining for me too, but it was a time thing. But oh well im over it, now the supra wont be done this summer but the turbo five speed that was going in it is now going in the cressy and the supra's going to get an LSX swap over the winter.

EwGoetsch

EdWORD
Jul 12, 2009
Minneapolis Minnesota
it had no exhaust on it cause i sold it, and you should still be able to hear a rod knock with loud exhaust, the thing idle quiet enough to hear a conversation while right next to the engine. Again i apologize for you having the rod knock with it. even 2 weeks ago after i bought this cressida i was pissed off that i sold it that motor, and wish it was still in the garage. I just want you to know that it wasnt my intention.
I spent many weeks busting my knuckles and literally bleeding on that engine. replacing every hose, broken bolt, over +75 hours of polishing metal. Why would i do all that work, and spend over $1100 on parts to get it running, to just sell it to a person for $400 (i think thats what i sold it to you for). If you wait a couple months and stop being so resentful over the knock thing, i may possibly buy that motor or cylinder head back from you.

1990MNSupra

Sep 24, 2009
Minnesota
Like i said man i'm over it, i was extremely frustrated that night just because i started it and within five minutes heard it. In a way its because of that knock my cressida will be a manual and turbo'd a lot sooner than i had planned which will be tight. So yeah whats done is done man, its almost funny now because about a day after i bought that thing i was thinking maybe i should have just used my GTE. If you do end up wanting any of that it should be pulled in a couple of weeks, hopefully.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
This thread started out off-topic and it just keeps getting worse...

elevated.jpg

Enough people.

Status
Not open for further replies.